Suffering from a cold? Or just feel like something simple and light? A good, tried and true, homemade chicken soup has got to be one of the most comforting dishes around and it’s so easy (actually foolproof) to make. Now, it’s not like we haven’t all made chicken soup before. Yes, everyone has their own recipe, often passed down from our mothers — I think we all have recollections of it as a kid. I remember mine well. Lipton was a star in my mother’s kitchen (wink)…but we loved it!
The fabulous thing about lemony chicken soup is you can add just about any vegetables to it. The base it what counts. To make a good soup be sure to buy free range, organic chicken, if possible, and a selection of chicken pieces on the bone with some fat on them. This is what rewards you with a good depth of flavor. And…if you are looking for a little green — for that vitamin boost — broccoli, kale or Asian greens all work well. I went for savoy cabbage. Despite its rough looking exterior, it’s tender, sweet and delicious tasting.
So go ahead and load up on this tasty chicken soup – as you can see, it’s overloaded with goodness, with those colossal chunks of savoy cabbage, carrots and tender chicken. It contains lots of healthy nutrients and is perfect for increasing hydration. Yes, it did the trick. My favorite Schwabe was back on his feet in no time at all.
Lemony Chicken Soup with Savoy Cabbage
- 2 small yellow onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 of a whole organic chicken
- 2 cups chicken broth (500 ml)
- about 4 cups water (ca. 1 liter)
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 savoy cabbage shredded
- handful egg noodles (or more)
- juice from one large lemon
- freshly grated parmesan, as garnish
In a large pot, add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, cayenne pepper and chicken, breast-side down. Add the broth and enough water to cover. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to low and simmer, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through and tender, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and remove meat from bones; discarding the skin and bones. Cut the meat into bite-size pieces. Note: You can either wait until the chicken is cool enough to handle but still warm, and use your hands to shred the meat into bite-sized pieces or, do as I do, and start right away using a fork and knife and worry about the last bits once its cooled down.
- Return the shredded chicken to the pot and add the carrots, egg noodles and savoy cabbage. Increase heat to medium and cook for 7-9 minutes, until noodles are cooked through and cabbage is wilted.
- Stir in the lemon juice right before serving and garnish with freshly grated parmesan. Enjoy!
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Lemony Chicken Soup with Savoy Cabbage recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).