One Pot Vegan Pasta in a Creamy Tomato Sauce. Oh yeah. Here’s to a pasta dish that is creamy, low-fat and vegan all at once. There’s no dairy, no cashews, that’s no butter (or butter substitute) to speak of. It’s a simple one pot pasta dish made with fresh tomatoes (yes, I know it’s winter — so go ahead and use canned tomatoes if you like), and a whole lot more tomato flavor from sun-dried tomatoes and some extra richness from tomato paste. All of which are umami pure. Plant-based milk (my personal choice, organic unsweetened soy milk) and all those juices from the tomatoes is what cooks the pasta to al dente perfection. And that’s right, all of this is done in one skillet!
One Pot Vegan Pasta oh yeah (and creamy to boot)
It was about time I did a one-pot pasta recipe. It really is possible and easy to do. I’m not talking about using one pot to cook the pasta and another to cook the sauce. People, this is ONE pot for everything. Singular. How great is that? One pot does it all. No mess, no fuss. Easy peasy. The sun-dried tomatoes are quickly caramelized with the tomato paste, garlic, and shallots and spices. A little white wine is added, cause what’s a pasta dish without a little wine? Then you pour in some soy milk, the pasta, the fresh tomatoes, and a little seasoning of salt and pepper. The magic happens when the starches are released from the pasta and mix with the soy milk and juices from the tomatoes to create a deliciously rich and creamy sauce. Pure comfort food.
One Pot Vegan Pasta in a Creamy Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes halves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika (sweet)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or a mix of thyme, oregano, and basil)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (65 ml)
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk, or other neutral tasting plant-based drink (500 ml)
- 400 g uncooked penne
- 500 g mini Roma tomatoes, halved (or 5 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes, to taste
- 3-4 handfuls of spinach
- fresh flat-leaf parsley to garnish (optional)
Heat the oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, paprika, Italian seasoning, garlic and shallots; cook, stirring, until the tomato paste starts to darken and caramelize and the shallots soften; about 3-4 minutes. Add the white wine and continue to cook until almost fully reduced, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the soya milk, penne, fresh tomatoes, sea salt and chili flakes to the skillet and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 mins, or until the pasta is cooked through (al dente). Stir a few times at the beginning of the cooking time in order to prevent the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the skillet.
- As soon as the pasta is al dente, stir in the spinach and continue to cook until wilted, a minute or so more. Serve with a sprinkle of parsley and enjoy!
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this One Pot Vegan Pasta in a Creamy Tomato Sauce recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).