This vibrant beetroot and orange salad is full of flavour and simple to make. The citrusy sweetness of the orange and the earthy sweetness of the beetroot, together with red onion, fresh herbs and a light vinaigrette is a fantastic combination. Made with raw beetroot, this salad is a light and fresh tasting salad that is good to eat as it is to look at!
Tips for preparing this Beetroot and Orange Salad
Since this is a raw beet salad it is important to use the freshest produce possible. I like to purchase my beets from the farmers market. I like to choose beets with their greens intact, as fresh greens are a sign of fresh beets since the greens wilt long before the root. Most importantly, avoid beets with soft or shrivelled, flabby skin.
As for the oranges, I used a mix. One of my favourites, called Cara Cara is a type of navel orange, with a sweet, pink coloured flesh and no seeds. The other type was Spanish Valencia. Which I think is similar to Navel, it just doesn’t have a navel. 😉 Blood oranges would also be a great choice.
Using a variety of types of either oranges or beets (such as Chioggia or golden beets) is a great way to vary the colour of your salad. And a little tip: rinsing and draining the julienned raw beetroot twice before adding to the salad with prevent the colour from seeping into everything else. But personally, I want all those extra beetroot juices in my salad!
Best equipment for making a raw beetroot salad:
Sweet, crunchy, messy. There are a number of ways to prepare raw beetroot for this beetroot and orange salad.
- Beets can be grated using the large holes of a box grater. Though, take care to grate your beets on a non-wooden surface because they will stain. And if you want to pull out a bigger piece of equipment than of course you could grate them in a food processor fitted with the shredding blade.
- I prefer to use a mandoline to julienne the beets. It’s quicker than grating by hand. But these things are sharp, so be careful and use the hand guard or protective glove!
- I also have a mandoline with a closed box to catch everything. This is especially good for grating or julienning beets since there is less mess.
Looking for other salad recipes with either oranges or beetroot?
How about trying this delicious recipe for a raw Beetroot and Carrot Slaw , this recipe for Beet Salad with Hazelnuts, Goats Cheese and Poppy Seed Dressing, or try my Citrus Salad with Pistachios and Mint. Otherwise, check out my archive.
Beetroot and Orange Salad
For the salad:
- 4 medium beetroot (600 g), peeled and coarsely grated or julienned
- 3 large oranges, peeled and sectioned (or thinly sliced)
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced (or whole one if really small)
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley (about 1/2 small bunch)
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped mint (about 1/2 small bunch)
For the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Finely grated rind and juice of ½ lemon (1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
To garnish (optional):
- nigella seeds (black cumin)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the beetroot, orange, onion and herbs, drizzle with the dressing and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with a sprinkle of nigella seeds and sumac, if desired.
- Letting the salad stand before serving allows the flavours to meld. Leftovers can be stored in a airtight container in the fridge and also taste delicious the next day.
- To section the oranges: Peel the oranges while cutting off the white skin. Remove the orange fillets along the dividing walls with a sharp knife on the left and right.
- I prefer to use a mandoline to julienne the beet. See above for more tips on how to prepare it.
- Sumac can be found in some well-stocked supermarkets,Turkish or Middle Eastern markets, or online. Nigella seeds are often sold at your local organic food store.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Beetroot and Orange Salad with Fresh Herbs recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.