Say hello to my new favorite way to enjoy oven roasted pumpkin. Imagine…Hokkaido pumpkin, sweet red onion and almonds tossed together with pure Canadian maple syrup and olive oil, then sprinkled with chili flakes and seasoned with salt and pepper. All roasted till tender then sprinkled with feta cheese, parsley and a good drizzle of freshly squeezed lemon juice to up the vibrancy of these simple and wonderful flavours.
Oven Roasted Pumpkin: a great side dish or a main
G o o d. Good enough just to eat on its own. I am famous for eating side dishes as a main. And making my favourite Schwabe eating them as a main as well. But if you willing to share this makes a great side dish for 4 or more. The combination of sweet pumpkin, with a little heat from chili, saltiness from feta and tang from lemon really tantalize the taste buds! I think its heavenly. The feta and herbs add a refreshing and almost cooling element that works with the heat. There is a little tang and creaminess as well. The entire combo… so good. Good enough that I make this dish every week!
Oven Roasted Pumpkin with Chili, Almonds and Feta
- 1 kg hokkaido pumpkin (red kuri squash), cut into 2,5 cm cubes (do not peel)
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (25 g)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried chili flakes, or according to taste, see notes
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 25 g feta cheese (or more), to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- lemon wedges, to serve
Preheat oven to 400°F / 200°C and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place the pumpkin, red onion and almonds onto the prepared baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and maple syrup, then toss until evenly coated.
Sprinkle the pumpkin with the dried chili flakes, salt and pepper.
Roast for 25 minutes, or until the pumpkin is browned and cooked through. Toss once after 10-12 minutes.
Remove from the oven, crumble over feta and garnish with parsley. Serve with lemon wedges (see notes) and enjoy.
- I usually squeeze a 1/4 lemon over the dish and serve additional lemon wedges, so that more can be added, as desired.
- This dish is a little bit spicy, depending on how hot your chili flakes are. Note that the spiciness of the chili flakes does mellow out a little when roasting with the pumpkin in the oven.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Oven Roasted Pumpkin with Chili, Almonds and Feta recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).