Ever since I discovered how delicious fennel is I have been adding it my salads pretty much every other day. Okay, it’s not a secret that I absolutely love and live on bowls of raw yumminess. I’ll never tire of salads, especially with fruit in them – a little obsession of mine. Apples and fennel. A classic combo – they pair well together raw, baked, and EVEN juiced!
This salad is probably not new to anyone. I think it’s about as customary as good ole’ coleslaw, with all variations in between. Still, it’s one of my summer favorites. Crisp and refreshing.
Not everyone loves fennel, but there are so many ways you can successfully sneak fennel into a salad and who knows maybe that certain person, who’s convinced they don’t and won’t like it, will discover that it’s actually pretty yummy after all. AND just maybe you’ll get the green light to add it a few more times.
All in the delivery? Well there is also this variation: toss the sliced fennel and crisp apple with a mustardy vinaigrette and chopped parsley. The mustard and parsley take first stage. What? Fennel? No, you must be mistaken. Or just try throwing in a few slivers of it into your next niçoise salad. You get the idea.
Apple and Fennel Salad
- 2 small fennel bulbs, trimmed, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced (use a mandolin if you have one)
- 1 Granny Smith apple, halved, cored and cut into thin slices
- zest of 1 organic lemon
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups mesclun salad greens (about 100 g)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted (45 g)
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan
- juice of 1/2 organic lemon, or more
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- In large bowl, combine apple and fennel (separating pieces of apple that are stuck together). Sprinkle with salt, pepper and lemon zest, toss together and add the mesclun greens, walnuts and parmesan and toss again.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss together until evenly coated. Garnish with a little more parmesan and serve.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Apple and Fennel Salad recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).