Crunchy celery salad with apple is a light and refreshing salad made with crisp celery stalks, tart apple, pleasantly bitter endive, fennel, parsley, blue cheese and hazelnuts. It’s easy, its crunchy and surprisingly delicious! This celery salad definitely deserves a spot on your plate!
Like any good salad, fresh, high quality ingredients are key. So make sure you are getting the freshest celery possible to ensure you get that fresh-tasting crispy, crunch in every bite. This salad is all about texture!
Choosing blue cheese for a celery apple salad
As for the cheese, my abolsute favourite for salads is Roquefort. It’s made with sheep’s milk and is creamy but still firm enough to crumble. It is of course, string tasting, so definitely a choice for true blue cheese lovers. There are other French blues that would also work well in this celery salad recipe. Try St. Agur (rich, smooth, creamy), Fourme d’Ambert (savoury, nutty, mild) Bleu d’Auvergne (strong, intense, creamy). Or you could also use gorgonzola (creamy, nutty aroma, mild) or your own personal favourite blue cheese.
Ways to serve celery salad
This salad pairs well with a number of dishes. Here are a few ways I would suggest pairing with grilled meat or poultry and potatoes or OTHER salads! You could easy pair this with a potato salad, a pasta salad, a lentil salad or other even a simple green salad. Or serve it as a light lunch with a crispy baguette. And you cab even enjoy it on it’s own for a light, low-carb lunch.
Not a fan of blue cheese, then try my Celery Salad with Apple, Fennel & Parmesan.
Celery Salad with Apple & Blue Cheese
For the salad:
- 3-4 celery stalks, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 endives, finely sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, quartered, cored and very thinly sliced
- 2 tart apples (e.g. Granny Smith), thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 75 g crumbled blue cheese (e.g. Roquefort)
- 50 g hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and coarsely chopped
For the dressing:
- 2 teaspoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients (Dijon, vinegar, oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper) until well combined.
In a large serving bowl, add the celery, endive, fennel, and apple. Pour over the dressing and toss until well coated. Just before serving, add the parsley, hazelnuts and the cheese, and toss to combine; season to taste with more salt and pepper.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
- I prefer my salad lightly coated in dressing, if you prefer more dressing on your salad, then feel free to increase the dressing ingredient amounts by 50% (3 tsp Dijon, 3 tbsp cider vinegar, 6 tbsp oil, 1,5 tbsp lemon juice). This is also helpful if you are using a large-sized fennel, endive and apples.
- Leftovers can be stored overnight in an airtight container in the fridge and easily refreshed by adding a drizzle of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- To save time, I like to buy hazelnuts that are already roasted and peeled.
- Hazelnuts can be replaced with toasted walnuts if preferred.
- For preparing the fennel, I either shave it using a mandoline (and handguard!) or quarter it, core it and use a really sharp knife to slice it into really thin pieces.
For a relaxing atmosphere in the kitchen I recommend my personal Elle Republic: Chilled Out Kitchen Tunes Playlist on Spotify.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Celery Salad with Apple & Blue Cheese recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.