Ever since my friend Anne-Claire told me about a tasty beetroot soup with orange and ginger that a friend cooked for her, I’ve been dreaming about it non-stop. Which brought to this creation. Just imagine all that flavor. Sweet orange and spicy ginger, together with the earthy flavor of beets. Of course, you firstly need to be a beet fan to enjoy a whole bowl of this. And that I am.
I love beets. And a beetroot soup is a healthy and tasty alternative to the high-powered, over-the-top heathy beet juices I have been drinking for breakfast lately. Plus, what’s nicer than a warm bowl of soup on a cold March day? The colour is so beautiful too! Pair it with your favorite whole grain bread, and you have a satisfying lunch that is packed with flavor and nutrition.
Beetroot Soup with Orange and Ginger
A naturally creamy beetroot soup with orange and ginger recipe that is nutritious, easy to make, tastes great and has an amazing colour. Naturally low-fat, vegan and gluten-free. Serves 4-6.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 small yellow onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 4 medium beetroot, peeled and chopped (1 kg)
- 3 cups vegetable broth (750 ml)
- 1 cup water (250 ml)
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, toasted and ground with a mortal and pestle
- 3 oranges, juiced (use juicing oranges, alternatively blood oranges)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- freshly chopped chives or cilantro leaves
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil, then add the chopped onion. Cook on medium-low heat until the onions are translucent.
- Add the grated ginger and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, then stir in the chopped beetroot. Add the broth and water and bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the beets start to become slightly tender (timing depends of size of pieces).
- While the beets are cooking, dry fry the coriander seeds in a frying pan over a medium heat for a few minutes, stirring constantly until the aroma is released. Leave to cool slightly, then crush the seeds in a pestle and mortar.
- Once the beets are slightly tender (after 20-25 minutes), stir the crushed seeds into the pot, and continue to simmer, covered, for 15 more minutes.
Carefully puree in batches using a blender (or hand-held immersion blender) and mix until smooth. Add the orange juice, season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Note: If using a blender make sure the hole in the center of the lid is open to allow steam to escape. And careful this is a beet soup! Splatters stain!
- Add the freshly squeezed orange juice, and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Serve into soup bowls. Drizzle with a little extra olive oil and sprinkle with fresh herbs. Enjoy!
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Beetroot Soup with Orange and Ginger recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).