Let’s talk about this shredded cabbage salad with tahini-lemon dressing recipe for a minute. Yes, cabbage salad. Or perhaps I should call it a “coleslaw” to make it sound more appealing. It’s a shredded salad. One I often make using kale but sadly, since the season is over, I’ve traded out kale for a mix of cabbage. And I would say this is proof that something not so trendy, and a little more humble, can make for the best recipes. Get ready to fall in love!
A tahini-lemon dressing that is perfect with your favorite type of kale or cabbage
I know raw kale or even raw cabbage might sound terrible, but trust me, it tastes amazing. Thanks of course to a delicious dressing — in this case a tahini-lemon dressing. The beauty of this dressing recipe is that any kind of cabbage works in this salad; I used green savoy cabbage and standard red cabbage, but you could also use plain ol green cabbage, or even Chinese cabbage. When I make this with kale I like to use a mix of Tuscan kale and curly kale, plus a little red cabbage for color. So good.
It doesn’t get any simpler than this healthy cabbage salad
While we of course love no-cook dishes in summer, a cabbage salad is just as enjoyable in the winter. It takes minutes to prepare and its delightful crunch just may help you forgot about the dismal grey of winter. As a quick and easy side you can serve it along side your favorite choice of protein or even some roasted potatoes (hmmm how about sweet potatoes?), or do a coleslaw classic and enjoy it topped on a trendy burger. What did we do? We enjoyed it along side a roasted beet and barley salad. Salad and salad. Oh yeah. 🙂
Shredded Cabbage Salad with Tahini-Lemon Dressing
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds (black cumin seeds), toasted
- 2 handfuls shredded savoy cabbage
- 2 handfuls shredded red cabbage
- handful of flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste, if desired
In a dry pan, lightly toast the sesame seeds and nigella seeds over medium-low heat for two to three minutes (toasting them brings out their flavor).
In a large bowl, combine the shredded cabbage with the parsley.
In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings, if desired.
Pour dressing over the salad mixture and toss until well coated. Transfer the salad to a serving platter or to individual plates and sprinkle with the toasted seeds. Serve and enjoy!
- I didn’t weigh the amount of cabbage, but think it was around 200 g per type. I translate one of my handfuls to be about 1 cups worth. Feel free to use more of one type of cabbage and less of another. Or substitute with Tuscan kale or curly kale, or even white cabbage. A small amount of grated carrot would likely be a nice addition as well.
- I like to add nigella seeds to my salads are they add a subtle flavor of toasted onions. I buy mine at my local organic food store. They can also be found online. If you don’t have any on hand, feel free to skip or use more sesame seeds instead.
- Inspired by my friend Anna’s super delicious kale and red cabbage salad!
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Shredded Cabbage Salad with Tahini-Lemon Dressing recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).