Fellow lover of beets, this is the recipe for you. I love this coconut ginger beet soup. I’m not a pink girl, but just look at that color! Gorgeous AND it’s full of flavor. The simple combination of market fresh beetroot, ginger, and coconut milk is so tasty. Then there are some subtle flavors of cumin and coriander seeds just give it a little extra depth. So good!
Before you click away from this recipe thinking “oh no, the kids or boyfriend/husband will never eat this”, I really encourage you to consider giving it a go. My favorite Schwabe, which I now realize is quite picky when it comes to vegetables (no to: eggplant, zucchini, peppers, fennel, pumpkin, sweet potato and well… beets unless they are the side attraction) more often than not loves his most hated vegetables when they are done in a way that, I am assuming, doesn’t stir up those childhood memories of bland, boring or overcooked vegetables. I won’t say he loved this soup, but he definitely liked it. Small win for Camp Beetroot.
So give it a try! This coconut ginger beet soup is perfect for when we’re needing a splash of color in our lives or craving a simple soup that is warm and comforting. Which is exactly what fall weather calls for!
It’s simple recipe, requiring just 35 minutes from start to finish — okay maybe 5 minutes longer than that. But it’s quick, that’s for sure! Plus it’s also vegan, gluten-free, and loaded with health benefits. This coconut ginger beet soup is perfect for fall and winter as it contains cold-fighting properties thanks to antiseptic ginger and antioxidant rich beetroot.
- Beets are a nutritious powerhouse. They are low in fat, rich in fiber and antioxidants, and packed with key nutrients such as iron, fiber, folate, vitamin C, and potassium. They’re also a natural anti-inflammatory, are loaded with disease-fighting phytonutrients, and help the body detoxify. I guess you could call this a detox soup!
- Coconut milk not only provides a creamy base to this soup, it also boasts a healthy dose of minerals, giving you at least 10 percent of your daily recommendation of several types, plus all kinds of other nutrients.
- Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory and in my home, a cure all for settling an upset stomach, improving digestion and avoiding a cold (YES to ginger tea!). Also, delicious.
- Garlic is magical. It provides innumerable health benefits. It acts as an anti-inflammatory in the body, helps to lower cholesterol levels, helps regulate blood pressure and is a great source of vitamin C, B6, manganese, and selenium. And I love it.
Coconut Ginger Beetroot Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 small yellow onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 large red beets, peeled and cut into ca. 1 cm pieces (550-600 g)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 x 400 ml can organic coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- generous grind freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Lemon wedges, for serving
In a large non-stick pot, heat the coconut oil over medium to medium-high heat.
Sauté the onion for 5 minutes, then add garlic and ginger; reduce heat slightly, add the coriander, cumin seeds and a pinch of cayenne pepper, continue cooking, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add beets and the broth; bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the beets are fork-tender, about 20 minutes.
Using an immersion blender, carefully purée the soup until smooth.
Alternatively, purée in a blender, in small batches, as necessary, and transfer back to the pot. Note: if using a blender make sure the hole in the center of the lid is open to allow steam to escape.
Stir in coconut milk, salt and pepper. If desired, add a little water until the soup reaches the desired consistency.
Serve into bowls, with lemon wedges on the side and garnish with parsley.
This is a wonderful soup that can be served hot or cold. If leftovers have been sitting in the refrigerator, just give it a taste. I sometimes like to perk up this soup with a spritz of lemon.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Coconut Ginger Beet Soup recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.