Creamy mushroom gnocchi is the ultimate in comfort food! The creamy crème fraîche sauce with sun-dried tomatoes and spinach is deliciously rich, creamy and satisfying. Using fresh, store-bought gnocchi, it’s quick and easy to make, making it a great weeknight choice.
This mushroom gnocchi recipe was inspired by one of my recent creations: Baked Potatoes with Mushroom-Spinach Filling. The sauce is basically the same, just with more broth to create a creamy base for pillowy gnocchi. This gnocchi recipe is however quite a bit more filling, since gnocchi even on its own makes for a hearty, satisfying dish. And for that reason, this is a great choice for anyone with a healthy appetite! And if you are looking for a low carb version, that isn’t necessarily vegetarian, simply serve the sauce over seared chicken breasts.
Tips for this mushroom gnocchi recipe
- Fresh gnocchi is the way to go for this recipe, whether store-bought or homemade. It cooks in mere minutes and have a delightful pillowy texture.
- Adding white wine to cooking adds a lot of flavor. I like to keep a bottle of Riesling (with a screw top) own hand for exactly this reason. If you cannot or do not want to cook with wine, it can of course be left out.
- I prefer to cook with crème fraîche over cream, since I really love it’s tangy flavor. Of course, you could use heavy cream instead, and it you wan to add a little extra tang, simply add a small squeeze of lemon juice at the end.
How to adapt this recipe
This is one of those recipes that it’s all about the sauce! Meaning you can easily adapt this recipe by trading out the main ingredient. Instead of gnocchi, you can replace it with any other type of pasta, or you could even adding seared chicken breast to the pan with the sauce. Simply, sear the chicken breasts for 6-8 minutes each side, or until golden and cooked through, before adding to the prepared sauce. I’m also willing to bet this sauce would also taste delicious served with steak or mashed potatoes.
Looking for other gnocchi recipe inspiration?
Try one of these delectable gnocchi dishes:
Creamy Mushroom Gnocchi
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 300 g cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (60 ml)
- 50 g sun dried tomato halves packed in oil, finely chopped (6-8 halves)
- 1 x 400 g package fresh store-bought gnocchi
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 x 150 g container crème fraîche
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth) (125 ml)
- 1-2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 35 g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
In a large, deep skillet, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened and translucent (8-10 minutes); add the garlic and cook until fragrant (1 minute). Increase heat to medium-high, add the sun dried tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened ( 5-7 minutes).
Pour in the white wine, and cook until to reduced (2 minutes).
Add the gnocchi and cook for 1 more minute.
Reduce heat to medium and stir in the cream and chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover the pan with lid and let cook for 5 minutes.
Remove the lid, and stir in the Italian seasoning, parmesan and spinach leaves. Add more broth or water to thin the sauce, if desired. Continue cooking until the spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
- For this recipe you will need fresh pre-made gnocchi bought from the refrigerated pasta section of your supermarket (it's fresh gnocchi). Typically, fresh gnocchi takes 3-5 minutes to cook.
For a relaxing atmosphere in the kitchen I recommend my personal Elle Republic: Chilled Out Kitchen Tunes Playlist on Spotify.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Creamy Mushroom Gnocchi with Spinach recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).