This curry-coconut-lentil soup is so vibrant and is so creamy delicious! It is packed with flavour thanks to garam masala curry and spices. And sweet potatoes and coconut milk gives it a smooth and velvety consistency.
Curry-coconut-lentil soup comes together in 1 pot and is easy peasy!
You start by sautéing onion, garlic, and ginger until tender. Then add the spices, the lentils and finally the sweet potato — which is the primary vegetable in this soup. However, you can also sub for another seasonal favourite — pumpkin or if you like carrots or parsnips. Something hearty is best.
Vegetable (or chicken) broth and coconut milk add flavour and creaminess. But the true flavours come from the fresh ginger, tomato paste (umami pure!) cumin, garam masala spice and a pinch of cayenne. Creamy, fragrant, delicious. Making this curry-coconut-lentil soup recipe the perfect choice for those chilly days.
So good you may just want to make a big batch. Curry is kind of like chili, it’s even better the next day. And the day after…YES…leftovers are fantastic!
I really hope you enjoy this lentil soup recipe as much as we do. It’s:
Naturally sweet from the sweet potatoes and coconut milk.
Nourishing and comforting. And as a vegan soup, perfectly satisfying.
Subtly spiced & extremely delicious.
For more healthy vegan curry recipes try:
- Coconut Korma Curry with Chickpeas & Roasted Vegetables
- Coconut Chickpea Curry with Sweet Potato
- Pumpkin and Red Lentil Curry
Or try one of my other favourite lentil soup recipes:
Curry-Coconut-Lentil Soup with Sweet Potato
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- pinch of cayenne
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup red lentils (200 g)
- 350-400 g peeled and chopped sweet potato (1 medium to large-sized)
- 750 ml vegetable or chicken broth
- 125 ml water
- 400 ml can organic coconut milk
- freshly squeezed lime juice, to taste
- cilantro or parsley and toasted coconut, to garnish
- In a large dutch (or soup pot) heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and saute until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the tomato paste, cumin, garam masala, cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook another minute, until aromatic.
- Add the lentils, sweet potato, broth and water and bring it up to a simmer. Turn the heat down to low and cook, partially covered, for 30 minutes until the sweet potato is tender. Stir in the coconut milk to warm through and add and fresh lime juice to taste.
Using an immersion blender (or blender, in batches) puree the soup until velvety smooth. Taste, and add a bit more salt if desired.
- Garnish to fresh cilantro and toasted coconut. Serve hot with more lime wedges. Enjoy!
- I add the juice of 1/2 a lime to the soup and serve it with extra wedges so that everyone can add more as desired.
- Leftovers will keep covered in the fridge for up to a week.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Curry-Coconut-Lentil Soup with Sweet Potato recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.