If you are looking for a new way to enjoy a grain salad, then I think you are going to enjoy this Green Spelt Salad with Feta and Grapes recipe. It’s a unique salad that’s adds something new and exciting to the menu! I simply love the combination of a nutritious grain together with other flavour elements and textures. This salad combines sweet grapes with salty feta, a chewy grain and crunchy walnuts with a mix of greens together in a very simple lemon and olive oil dressing.
Choosing grapes for this Green Spelt Salad with Feta
Simple is the key here. Other than the grapes, this salad is made with simple and easy to come by ingredients. You may already see grapes becoming available at supermarkets or the farmers market. For our domestic market, we mostly get them from the Mediterranean countries (or in small quantities from local regions) in summer and autumn months, and at this time of year South Africa (or even further away such as South America). I was quite eager to make this salad again, rather than wait until summer, so when I saw grapes come available with my weekly Bio-Kiste, I just had to make this again. I use organic South African seedless grapes for this recipe. They have a deep red color and sweet juicy taste.
Green spelt is one of my absolute favourite grains. It has a terrific aromatic, nutty flavour and lots of texture, which makes it a wonderful ins salads, or added to a soup or stew. If you haven’t already tried it in a salad, I recommend you do, as there are endless ways to enjoy it in a grain salad and it’s a great way to incorporate this nutritious grain into your diet. It’s rich in B-vitamins, minerals, iron and is a good source of plant-based protein.
Try one of these delicious recipes:
- Lentil Chili with Grünkern & Kale
- Grünkern Salad with Apple & Parmesan
- Mediterranean Grünkern and Chickpea Salad
- Savoy Cabbage Soup with Grünkern
Green Spelt Salad with Feta and Grapes
- 1 cup green spelt (called Grünkern), alternatively freekeh (200 g)
- 4 handfuls red seedless grapes, halved (200-250 g)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 100 g mesclun or mixed greens (I like a mix of young arugula, radicchio, lambs lettuce)
- 75 g feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup walnuts, lightly toasted and roughly chopped (50 g)
Cook the green spelt according to package instructions; for about 30 minutes.
Drain it well and transfer it to a serving bowl to cool.
Once the grain has cooled, add the grapes, red onion, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Add the salad greens, feta and walnuts and toss again. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Serve and enjoy!
- This salad can be prepared in advance. The flavors enhance if they have at least 15 minutes to mingle. If doing so, add the greens and walnuts just before serving. This ensures the greens stay crisp and the walnuts crunchy.
For a relaxing atmosphere in the kitchen I recommend my personal Elle Republic: Chilled Out Kitchen Tunes Playlist on Spotify.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Green Spelt Salad with Feta and Grapes recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.