This healthy lentil salad is made with beluga lentils, summer tomatoes, sweet red bell pepper, green onion, mixed herbs, and a simple red wine vinegar dressing. Easy to make, flavourful and perfect for lunch or dinner.
Type of lentils used for this lentil salad recipe
For this recipe, I used Beluga lentils, also referred to as black lentils, as they are a terrific choice for salads. Just like French green puy lentils, they hold their shape well after cooking, rather than breaking down like brown or red lentils. You’ll recognise them by their small size and glossy caviar-like appearance. They have a delicious, delicate flavour with a mild earthy character. You can find them at your local organic food store or well-stocked supermarkets. Alternatively, you can use French green lentils (Puy lentils or lentilles du Puy) in their place. When cooked, they also have an al dente texture, as well as a peppery, earthy flavour.
How to serve this simple beluga lentil salad
This lentil salad recipe makes a great addition to any barbecue as a healthy and delicious side dish. You can also enjoy it on its own as a meal. Try serving it over a bed of green, such as young arugula. You can also serve it paired alongside grilled vegetables, or with some pita bread and some hummus and for easy meal.
How to adapt this Lentil Salad with Bell Pepper, Tomato and Herbs
There are endless ways that you could adapt this simple lentil salad recipe, so feel free to get creative!
- Lemon juice or balsamic vinegar could be substituted for red wine vinegar.
- Fresh oregano, or thyme could be substituted for the dill.
- Add some diced cucumber or celery stalk.
- Red onion could be substituted for the green onions.
- Adding chopped sun-dried tomatoes add richness.
Looking for more lentil salad recipe ideas?
Then try one of these favorites:
- Lentil Salad with Apple & Carrot
- Beluga Lentil Salad with Middle Eastern Lemon Dressing
- Roasted Beet and Lentil Salad with Dijon-Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Roasted Feta and Tomato Lentil Salad
Lentil Salad with Bell Pepper, Tomato and Herbs
- 1 cup dried black beluga or French green lentils (200 g)
- 1 bay leaf
- 250 g mini roma or cherry tomatoes, quartered (and halved again, if large)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 sweet red or yellow pepper, diced
- Generous handful fresh dill, finely chopped (about 4 tablespoons)
- Generous handful fresh basil, thinly sliced (about 4 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar, or to taste
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 30 g crumbled feta, or more to taste (optional)
In a large saucepan, combine the lentils and bay leaf with 3 cups of water (750ml). Bring to a boil over medium high heat and then reduce to medium-low and cook according to package instructions for 20-25 minutes, until tender but firm (al dente).
Drain in a large sieve, then transfer to a large bowl.
Toss the hot lentils with the tomatoes, green onion, garlic, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Let stand to cool for 10-15 minutes, then add the bell pepper, dill, basil, and parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed. Sprinkle with feta cheese (if using) and serve.
For a relaxing atmosphere in the kitchen I recommend my personal Elle Republic: Chilled Out Kitchen Tunes Playlist on Spotify.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Lentil Salad with Bell Pepper, Tomato and Herbs recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).