These oven-roasted parsnips and carrots are cooked to perfection then served with a splash of lemon and a nutty hazelnut gremolata, making them the perfect side dish! This plant-based recipe makes such a satisfying side dish no matter what it is accompanying. It’s fantastically easy to makes, takes 30 minutes to prepare and tastes great served warm or a room temperature!
Roasted vegetables are perfect for just about any meal, holiday or otherwise.
And I love that the possibilities are endless when it comes to creating delicious combinations with them. Lightly coating them in oil and seasoning them in a little salt helps the vegetables caramelize by browning a little on the outside and becoming tender on the inside, all the while resulting in a sort of “umami” effect, that makes them irresistibly delicious. Have you tried roasted parsnips before? The more I try roasting them, the more they become one of my favorite vegetables to eat in the winter. They are similar to carrots but have a nuttier earthy taste, as well as natural sweetness like carrots. So delicious!
What is gremolata?
Gremolata is an Italian condiment made from parsley, garlic, and lemon zest. And in this case roasted hazelnuts and a little olive oil. I guess you could say it could be defined as both a condiment and garnish, as it adds extra flavor and a pop of color to otherwise dull-looking dishes. It’s often served with meat (think Italian Osso Buco with Gremolata) but it’s actually fantastic for just about anything that could benefit from a burst of bright, fresh flavors. Which is why I absolutely love to add it to roasted vegetables, like this oven-roasted parsnips and carrots recipe. The nuttiness of parsnips pair very well with it!
I hope you will LOVE this recipe for oven-roasted parsnips and carrots as much as I do. It’s
Super easy to prepare
& a great way to sneak more vegetables onto your plate
Oven-Roasted Parsnips and Carrots with Hazelnut Gremolata
For the roasted vegetables:
- 250 g parsnips, peeled and halved or quartered lengthwise
- 250 g carrots, peeled and halved or quartered lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- freshly squeezed juice from 1/2 lemon
For the hazelnut pesto:
- 25 g toasted hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (from organic lemon)
- To roast the nuts: Toast the hazelnuts over medium heat in a small dry skillet for 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant. Once cool enough to handle, place the nuts in a clean, dry kitchen towel and rub them vigorously to remove the skins.
- Preheat oven to 425°F / 220°C degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer the vegetables to the baking sheet and toss with the oil. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more) and toss again. Spread the vegetables into an even layer (without crowding them) and roast for 20-25 minutes, tossing halfway through, until lightly browned and tender.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor (alternatively using a mortar with a pestle), combine the hazelnuts, parsley, garlic, oil, and lemon zest. Process into a rough paste. Set aside.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to a serving platter and drizzle with the lemon juice. Then scatter the hazelnut gremolata on top. Season with more salt if desired. Serve and enjoy!
- Parsnips will cook at about the same rate as carrots, so cut them into similar-size pieces. If using a larger parsnip, then you can cut the bottom smaller part in half, and the larger top half into thirds or quarters (lengthwise) so everything is about the same size and cooks evenly.
- I always use olive oil for roasting my vegetables. My favorite is extra-olive oil from Farchioni Olii which is also heat resistant, making it great for cooking and for salads. Plus it tastes amazing.
- As an alternative to roasting the hazelnuts, already roasted hazelnuts can be found in your local organic food store.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Oven-Roasted Parsnips and Carrots with Hazelnut Gremolata recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.