Salmon Coconut Curry is a quick, easy and delicious fish curry recipe. It’s a mild and aromatic curry dish made with chickpeas, spinach, and delicious chunks of fresh salmon. Although it’s mild it packed with flavor thanks to fresh ginger, red chili, garlic, onion and a squeeze of lime. If that wasn’t enough, it’s on the table in just 35 minutes!
What makes this salmon curry so special
First of all, it’s incredibly EASY to make. And secondly it’s QUICK! It’s made with simple ingredients and it’s very easily adaptable. I use my very own Elle Herbs pink curry spice mix for this recipe, but it also works really well with golden curry spice.
Pink curry spice — mild and packed with goodness
What makes this curry spice so very special is that it contains antioxidant-rich ingredients like dry ground raspberry, elderberries and a açai berries — hence the name pink curry. There are also omega-3 rich chia seeds and the standard curry ingredients like coriander, cumin, fenugreek, cardamon, cinnamon, turmeric and chili. All together these add an aromatic flavour to this fish curry recipe.
What you’ll need to make this recipe
Fresh cooked rice or other grain of choice. I like whole grain rice, but jasmine rice is also a great choice, that also cooks up quickly.
- Skinless salmon filet
- Creamy coconut milk
- Aromatics; fresh garlic, ginger, onion and fresh red chili
- fresh spinach
- A terrific tasting curry spice mix
- fresh lime juice
- fresh cilantro
- And 30-35 minutes time
How to adapt this fish curry recipe
- Swap spinach for other greens such as Swiss chard or young kale leaves (found at your farmers market).
- Subsitute the greens for other vegetables such as sugar snap peas, broccoli florets, or spring green asparagus.
- Swap out chickpeas for potatoes.
- Use a white fish like halibut or cod if you’re not a fan of salmon.
Looking for other curry recipe inspiration?
Try one of these popular recipes:
Salmon Coconut Curry with Spinach and Chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 2 small yellow onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 fresh red chili, seeded and finely diced loo
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 x 400 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons pink curry powder (see tips below)
- 1 x 400 g can organic coconut milk
- 60 ml vegetable broth (optional), to thin the sauce
- 600 g salmon filet, without skin and cubed (5 cm)
- 100 g baby spinach
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly squeezed juice from 1/2 lime, plus lime wedges for serving
- Cilantro leaves, to garnish
- Steamed rice, such as short grain rice or basmati, for serving
Heat the oil in a large deep skillet (or wok) over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, ginger, and chili; cook, stirring, for 6-7 minutes, until the onion has softened.
Add chickpeas, curry powder and tomato paste and continue to cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add the coconut milk and broth (if using), cook for 5 minutes. Stir in salmon, and simmer gently until just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Stir in spinach and season with salt, to taste. Simmer for 1 minute, until spinach wilts.
Stir in the lime juice. Serve immediately with rice and coriander leaves. Enjoy!
- This recipe works terrific with pink curry powder – the only spice you need! Or try golden curry spice if you like deeper flavour and more of a punch!
- Otherwise a madras curry is a good choice, start with 1 1/2 teaspoons, and increase to taste. Or use your favorite curry mix
- My favorite choice is short grain brown rice, it takes 40 minutes to cook, otherwise jasmine rice can be used which cooks quickly or whole grain basmati which takes about 25 minutes.
For a relaxing atmosphere in the kitchen I recommend my personal Elle Republic: Chilled Out Kitchen Tunes Playlist on Spotify.
Did you try this recipe?
Then tag @ellerepublic on Instagram and hashtag it #ellerepublic
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Salmon Coconut Curry with Spinach and Chickpeas recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.