This simple warm mushroom spinach salad is a great salad recipe for anyone who loves spinach and mushrooms. This is a hearty salad that is served warm with a mixture of sautéed mushrooms, crispy bacon and a flavourful red wine, balsamic vinegar dressing — which is also served warm!
Best type of spinach leaves
This is the perfect type of recipe if you are looking for new ways to serve more mature spinach leaves or spinach on the root. Mature spinach has a hardier texture and earthier flavor than baby spinach and also pair and hold up better to this pungent vinaigrette.
Reminiscent of a classic wilted spinach salad
This spinach salad with mushrooms and bacon is a take on what was one of my favourite salads to order in a restaurant back in my Vancouver days. The original was also served tossed in a warm dressing, but with raw white mushrooms, sliced boiled eggs, crispy bacon and red onion. Here I decided to keep things simple and focus on a mix of sautéed mushrooms and spinach tossed in a warm vinaigrette. Simpler but different.
Ways to adapt this warm mushroom spinach salad:
- Sub out bacon for prosciutto
- Skip the bacon and add a little crumbled blue cheese
- Sweeten up this balsamic dressing by adding a little maple syrup.
- OR give it an asian twist by making a dressing of 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 2 Tbsp red-wine vinegar, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 tsp honey, 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Add some crunch with toasted nuts (pecans or hazelnuts are great choices)
- Add sliced boiled egg
Looking for other spinach salad ideas?
Try one of these delicious recipes:
- Spinach Salad with Beets, Chickpeas, Bulgur and Feta
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with Lemon Dressing
- Spinach Quinoa Salad with Feta and Herbs
- Spinach Salad with Tahini-Dressing, Sumac Pita & Pomegranate
Warm Mushroom Bacon Spinach Salad
A classic wilted spinach salad with crispy bacon, shallot and sautéed mushrooms tossed in a warm balsamic dressing.
For the salad:
- 8 handfuls spinach, tough stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped (200g)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 50 g diced smoked bacon
- 250 g mixed mushrooms (such as shiitake, king oyster, oyster and cremini), sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
For the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dry red wine
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
In a large serving bowl, add the spinach.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon cook, stirring, until the bacon is crisp, 6-7 minutes. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the olive oil, vinegar, red wine and shallot to simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
Immediately pour the warm vinaigrette over the spinach mixture and toss to coat. Add mushroom bacon mixture and toss again to combine. Serve while still warm.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Warm Mushroom Bacon Spinach Salad recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).