Summer is zucchini season and zucchini bread is a my favorite thing to bake when the gardens are overflowing with this summer vegetable. I think this zucchini bread is somewhat special since it’s made with mild, neutral-tasting coconut oil, pure Canadian maple syrup (refined sugar-free!) and a mix of whole grain and white spelt flour — plus dark chocolate chunks from my favourite chocolate bar! And it’s moist and flavourful which gives it that that cake like appeal, while still being on the healthier side.
Baking with psyllium husk powder
Everyone has their own version of zucchini bread. Some more like a cake other more like a bread. This one I would say is somewhere in between. For this version, I didn’t press out all the moisture of the zucchini, but instead added 1 tablespoon of psyllium husk powder, which like chia seeds, has the ability to soak up water. This helps ensure a fail safe zucchini bread, improves the texture and also has the benefit that it is super good for you. Psyllium husk powder is a rich source of soluble fiber and promotes digestive health.
This recipe is what I would call a “quick-bread” recipe. There is no special equipment needed, just a couple of mixing bowls, a whisk and a spatula. And of course, a loaf pan. Yes, this tried-and-true zucchini bread recipe couldn’t be easier; you don’t need a mixer — of any kind! It takes literally a minute, with no muscle power, to mix everything together.
Choosing the best loaf pan
Speaking of the loaf pan, I highly recommend using a 25 x 11 cm gourmet loaf pan for this recipe. It’ll give you a nice looking loaf. But I have also made this recipe a number of time using a regular bread loaf pan which is 30 cm long. With this you get a long and not as high rising result.
Have a garden full of zucchini and looking for other recipe ideas?
Then check out my zucchini archive, or try one of these delicious recipes:
- Zucchini Pancakes
- Zucchini Salad with Chickpeas, Lemon, Parmesan, and Fresh Herbs
- Zucchini Salad with Truffle Oil
Zucchini Bread with Whole Grain Spelt & Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil (mild/neutral tasting) (125 g)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (125 ml)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla powder
- 1 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated zucchini (about 1 medium-sized zucchini) (215 g grated)
- 115 g spelt flour (type 630)
- 115 g whole grain spelt flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (ceylon)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 100 g dark chocolate, chopped (70-85% cacao)
- cacao nibs, to garnish (optional)
Place an oven rack in the middle position of your oven and pre-heat the oven to 350F. / 175°C. Grease a loaf pan (25cm loaf pan is best) with coconut oil and line the center with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together the oil and maple syrup until well combined. Stir in the eggs, vanilla, psyllium husk and zucchini. Mix until well combined. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until incorporated (being careful to not over-mix!) and then fold in the chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into the loaf pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle with cacao nibs, if desired.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean, 55-60 minutes.
Cool the zucchini bread in the pan for about 10-15 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
- Baking time can vary slightly from oven to oven.
- Once fully cooled, store the bread in wrapping in parchment paper or a double-wrapped tea towel on the counter for 3 days.
- I use a mild unrefined coconut oil and can hardly taste it in this bread. Of course, if you like a coconut flavour feel free to use regular coconut oil. Alternatively, grapeseed oil.
- Psyllium husk powder can be found in your local organic food store.
- I use dark chocolate from GEPA (85% cacao) for this zucchini bread recipe (unpaid mention).
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.