his Zucchini Ribbon Salad recipe features raw zucchini, which is cut into beautiful ribbons, and tossed in a simple lemony dressing along with fresh basil and mint, then topped with crumbled feta and toasted pine nuts. It’s quick and easy to prepare, and is bursting with fresh seasonal flavours.
Can you eat zucchini raw?
The answer is — YES! Zucchini is one of those versatile vegetables which can be enjoyed both cooked or raw. It’s flavour is very mild, which is why it works so well with other ingredients. And the bonus, just like many other vegetables, it provides lots of extra nutrients that you just don’t get once it is cooked.
How to create zucchini ribbons
Use a vegetable peeler to cut the zucchini into ribbons. A standard vegetable peeler is the quickest and easiest way to make the elegant zucchini ribbons. Alternatively, you could use a mandoline to slice zucchini into long and thin ribbons, if you have one. I prefer to use a vegetable peeler since I is quick and easy to use, and involves less cleanup.
Ingredients for this simple zucchini salad recipe
Zucchini: It’s important to use the freshest zucchini you can get your hands on — either from your garden or the farmers market. Fresh zucchini will be very firm. You can use green or yellow zucchini (called summer squash) or a combination of the two to give the salad a little more colour.
Herbs: Freshness here is also key. Fresh summer herbs will give the salad lots of aroma and flavor.
Cheese: Crumbled feta cheese goes so well with the mild and subtle taste of the zucchini ribbons. Shaved parmesan is a fantastic choice as well. Or you could use goat cheese as a substitute for either of these.
Nuts: I simply adore pine nuts with delicate salads like this. However you could also use toasted slivered almond, walnuts or even sunflower seeds.
Dressing: Freshly squeezed lemon juice, a good quality olive oil, coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper are all you need for this simple zucchini salad. It gives all the individual flavours a chance to shine.
Optional zucchini ribbon salad add-ins
I adore the simplicity of this raw zucchini salad, but there are ways to adapt or enhance this salad with even more flavor. You could easily add:
- Halved or quartered cherry tomatoes or mini-roma tomatoes
- Use parmesan instead of feta and add a handful of baby arugula leaves
- Give it a little kick with some minced garlic or add a little grainy mustard to the dressing
- Add some chopped chives, thinly sliced spring onion or red onion
- Add a little finely grated lemon zest and a sprinkle of parsley
Looking for more zucchini salad inspiration?
If you like this raw zucchini salad recipe, then try one of these favourites:
- Orzo Salad with Zucchini and Chickpeas
- Zucchini Salad with Truffle Oil
- Chickpea Salad with Carrots and Zucchini
- Zucchini Noodle Salad with Tomato, Basil and Pine Nuts
Zucchini Salad with Feta & Pine Nuts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- juice of half a lemon, or to taste
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 medium-sized zucchini or summer squash, trimmed and cut into ribbons (500 g)
- 1 handful of basil, torn
- 1 handful of mint leaves, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 50 g crumbled feta (alternatively 30 g shaved parmesan)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted (25 g)
In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, salt and black pepper until combined.
Place the zucchini ribbons in the large bowl, add the basil, mint and dressing. Toss gently to coat. Taste for seasoning. Transfer to a serving platter or shallow serving bowl.
Top the zucchini ribbon salad with the crumbled feta (or parmesan shavings) and pine nuts. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- To cut the raw zucchini into ribbons, trim the ends and using a vegetable peeler, work from top to bottom on each zucchini to slice it into thin, long ribbons. Discard the centre with the seeds. Alternatively, a spiralizer can be used.
- This salad is best enjoyed fresh. If storing leftovers, the zucchini will release some of its juices and will not be as crisp as when served fresh.
For a relaxing atmosphere in the kitchen I recommend my personal Elle Republic: Chilled Out Kitchen Tunes Playlist on Spotify.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Raw Zucchini Ribbon Salad recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.