These fast and easy grilled cheese sandwiches with brie and apple make the perfect snack or appetiser! If you haven’t tried an apple brie grilled cheese yet, imagine all the things you might love about a fruit and cheese platter. These crispy buttery toasted sandwiches are made with tart green apple, creamy brie, chili-honey-mustard and a peppery arugula. Full of flavor, these sandwiches are terrific served hot off the grill, at room temperature or even cold.
Apple brie grilled cheese sandwich — simple gourmet comfort food
Grilled cheese sandwiches of course equals classic comfort food and this version with brie, apple and honey mustard is simply, tasty comfort food at it’s finest! This sandwich tastes so delicious, in fact gourmet, but is so easy to make. And it takes mere minutes!
Perfect party sandwiches or appetisers for a crowd
This is the perfect recipe if you are looking for make snacks for a crowd, as the sandwiches can be cut into half and served as appetisers. And the best thing is that they taste great warm or served at room temperature. Plus this is an easy recipe to double if you are feeding a large crowd. Which is especially beneficial if you are preparing these on a glass-ceramic electric grill like I am. My LeMax grill easily has enough room to prepare multiple sandwiches, all in one go!
A few tips for making the best grilled cheese with apple and brie:
Although this recipe is incredibly easy to make, here are a couple of tips to make ensure the best results:
- Leave the butter out at room temperature for easy spreading. Some brands of butter are easy to spread direct out of the fridge, but others are rock hard, so best to let it soften.
- Use a good quality bread that’s soft and tender but still sturdy enough to hold your ingredient- If you are using ciabatta, be sure to choose the type that doesn’t have a lot of air pockets, otherwise you cheese will melt through onto the pan.
- The brie can be eaten with or without the rind, that’s a personal preference. It also can be brought to room temperature and spread onto the sandwich before grilling or sliced when it it cold (which is what I do) and placed on top of the prepared slices of bread.
How to adapt this grilled cheese sandwich recipe
This apple brie grille cheese sandwich is pretty stellar as it is, but you can also change things up and make an equally legendary sandwich by:
- Adding prosciutto or serrano ham
- Using fig jam instead of honey mustard
- Add caramelised onions
- Choosing sweet-tart apples such as Wellant or Braeburn or trade them out for pears
- Using your favourite type of bread, whether it be toast bread, pumpernickel, seeded whole grain bread, rustic Italian ciabatta or bauernbrot.
Looking for other ideas what to serve as appetisers for guests?
Apple Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Honey Mustard
- 8 slices sourdough bread, or large baguette sliced on the diagonal
- Butter, for coating the bread
- 1 tablespoon grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 220 g brie cheese, sliced thinly (I like sheep’s milk brie)
- 1 granny smith apple thinly sliced
- Handful arugula leaves
In a small bowl, mix together both mustards, the honey and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
Butter the outside of each slice of bread. Spread a thin layer of honey-mustard on the inside of each slice of bread. Layer with slices of brie, 2-3 apple slices and a little arugula. Top with the other slice of bread (butter side up).
Heat a large nonstick skillet, griddle pan, or tabletop grill over medium-high heat (for the LeMax, preheat at level 8 for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 6-7).
Place the sandwiches, butter side down in the hot pan or grill. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cheese melts. Cut sandwiches in half, if desired. Serve and enjoy!
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Apple Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Honey Mustard recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.
Many thanks to ELAG Products GmbH for sponsoring this Apple Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe.