- This Black Bean Salad with Avocado and Mango is perfect for a summer BBQ (or taco night!). Simple ingredients come together to make a tasty tropical salad with TexMex flair. Once you have all the ingredients prepped, all it takes is a simple toss with the lime dressing for a tasty and colorful salad ready in 15 minutes!
Summer salads are one of the most wonderful ways to enjoy fresh colorful produce in a healthy way. And if you are looking for something a little different than the standard green salad, this is recipe is for you. It’s easy to make and delicious with anything you pair it with. It’s also super versatile. You can make endless variations of this salad!
Made with pantry staples and bright fresh produce, this salad couldn’t be easier.
I like to use organic canned black beans for this recipe, as it means you can prepare this salad super quick, without any planning ahead time for soaking beans. Black beans make the base of this salad, and are a great source of plant based protein while also making this salad heartier too!
Adds fresh tropical flavor and sweetness! The mango should have some give when squeezed to make sure its ripe enough — kind of the same as when choosing peaches or nectarines. It’s shouldn’t be rock hard.
Adds creaminess and balances out the sweetness from the mango.
Aromatics have a place in almost all my salads. I especially love red onion in combination with the rest of the ingredients in this salad.
Ties all of the ingredients together and really gives this salad a fresh tropical flavor.
To balance the acidity of the fresh lime juice. Use agave syrup or maple syrup if looking for a vegan alternative to honey.
Adds an extra bit of fresh flavor flavor. And pairs fantastically with mango, avocado and lime.
Salt, pepper, chili powder and smoked paprika: Subtly spiced to elevate the flavor of each individual ingredient.
How to serve this black bean salad with avocado and mango
This salad can be served as a proper side salad OR as a salsa. If you are going the salsa route, you can even chop everything up a little smaller, depending on what you are serving it with.
Here are a few ways I like to eat it:
- As a topping for tacos (you could also serve it with burritos and quesadillas)
- As a salsa for corn chips or nachos
- Topped on some greens
- As a side salad along with other BBQ sides
- With a veggie burger
- Alongside grilled fish or seafood
How to adapt this black bean salad
- Add some heat: fresh chili is a great way to add a little extra spice, or try a pinch of red pepper flakes
- Fresh corn: Adds even more sweetness and texture to your salad. Fresh is best, as you will get the best texture and a little extra crunch. Steam it or roast it and add the kernels to the salad.
- Red bell pepper: Adds even more sweetness and crunch.
- Tomatoes: sweet summer cherry tomatoes also go well.
- Red cabbage: shredded red cabbage compliments mango and lime really well, add crunch and a pop of color.
- Quinoa: to make it a meal salad.
Mango Lovers – Check out more mango recipes
- Red Cabbage Mango Slaw
- Coconut-Lime Cabbage and Mango Salad
- Mango Insalata Caprese
- Oxheart Cabbage Coleslaw with Apple and Mango
- Asparagus and Mango Salad
Black Bean Salad with Avocado and Mango
For the salad:
- 1 x 400 g can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 mango, ripe but firm, peeled and cubed (ca. 2cm pieces)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, cubed (ca. 2cm pieces)
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
- handful young arugula leaves (optional)
For the dressing:
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon honey (liquid)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
In a large bowl, add the black beans, mango, onion, avocado, cilantro and arugula (if using).
In a small bowl, add the dressing ingredients (lime juice, honey, chili, paprika, salt, pepper and olive oil). Whisk together until well combined.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine. Enjoy!
Make it vegan: use agave syrup or maple syrup in place of honey.
For a relaxing atmosphere in the kitchen I recommend my personal Elle Republic: Chilled Out Kitchen Tunes Playlist on Spotify.
Did you try this recipe?
Then tag @ellerepublic on Instagram and hashtag it #ellerepublic
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Black Bean Salad with Avocado and Mango recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).