This EASY one-pan potato coconut curry has so much delicious flavor! It’s healthy, plant-based comfort food that tastes AMAZING!! It’s made with both potatoes and sweet potatoes and a curry-like medley of spices (cumin, coriander, cayenne and turmeric), plus some flavour boosting favorites: onion, garlic, ginger and fresh chili. Hearty and comforting, it’s also naturally vegan and gluten-free. AND it makes fantastic leftovers!
Simple, healthy and so delicious
So if you’re trying to make more meatless meals, this is a definite winner. And actually the inspiration for this one-pan potato coconut curry came from my Spicy Coconut Chicken Skillet recipe. In this vegetarian/vegan version, potatoes and tomatoes are a sure win for adding that delicious umami flavor that amplified with the right mix of spices and other ingredients. The end result? A super simple one-pot meal that will please a crowd. I think you’re going to love it.
How to adapt this potato coconut curry recipe
I personally love the mix of regular potatoes with sweet potatoes, but I am pretty sure you could get away with only using potatoes or simply a 3:1 ratio. You could also add in some oven-roasted cauliflower or a can of chickpeas. Chickpeas are a great choice if you want to add some plant-based protein or want to enjoy as a pure one-pot main. I really enjoy this dish on its own as it is, but it also is great served over a little steamed rice (totally optional).
Looking for other curry inspiration?
Then try one of these delicious curry and curry-inspired recipes:
- Vegan Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew with Tofu
- Cauliflower and Potato Curry with Chickpeas
- Sweet Potato Peanut Stew with Coconut & Spinach
- Curry-Coconut-Lentil Soup with Sweet Potato
One-Pan Potato Coconut Curry with Spinach
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated peeled ginger
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, membranes and seeds removed, and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 500 g potatoes, peeled and diced (1,5 cm)
- 500 g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (1,5 cm)
- 1 x 400 g can organic chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth (500 ml)
- 1 x 400 ml can organic coconut milk
- 3-4 generous handfuls baby spinach (100 g)
Heat the olive oil in the large, deep skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the onion, ginger, chili peppers, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until onion is tender. Add the spices, saute for 1 minute.
Add potatoes and sweet potatoes. Then stir in the tomato sauce, broth and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Cover and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
Finally add the spinach and simmer until wilted (1 minute). Taste and season with more salt and pepper, if desired.
Serve on its own, with rice or flatbread. Enjoy!
- I have also made this with a small sweet red pepper, instead of fresh chili. Finely chop the red pepper and add it along with the onion in step 1.
- This makes excellent leftovers for a number of days. So it’s a great choice for meal planning. (Store up to 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator).
For a relaxing atmosphere in the kitchen I recommend my personal Elle Republic: Chilled Out Kitchen Tunes Playlist auf Spotify.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this One-Pan Potato Coconut Curry with Spinach recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.