This sweet potato peanut stew is a wonderful combination of nourishing vegetables in a delicious coconut sauce spiced with turmeric and cumin, then topped with more toasted peanuts of crunch. You could even say this is a curry of sorts. It’s creamy, has a satisfying texture, awesome flavor and it’s super nutritious.
This sweet potato peanut stew has:
spices: turmeric, cumin & cayenne
garlic / onions
all-natural chunky peanut butter
squeeze of lime juice
splash of soy sauce
All of which give it the power to reduce inflammation, boost antioxidants, promote youthful health, and loads of vital nutrients.
A healthy recipe that’s easy to adapt!
The bonus is, it’s easy to prepare and you can get it on the table within an hour, making it totally doable for any night of the week. Plus leftovers are just as tasty! In winter, spinach can be swapped out for kale (my favorite being Tuscan kale). You can trade out a little sweet potato for cooked chickpeas, or regular potatoes, or even add some cauliflower to the mix. Yes, these are my favorite kinds of recipes – ones that just kind of let you do whatever you want to do and make it your very own.
How to serve Sweet Potato Peanut Stew
It’s perfect served with brown rice, quinoa, Grünkern or your own favorite whole grain choice. I like this best with steamed brown rice, but you could also enjoy it as is and serve it with fresh-baked flatbread to sop up the sauce.
Sweet Potato Peanut Stew with Coconut & Spinach
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and crushed
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 6 vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped (800-900 g)
- 1 x 400ml can organic coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium sweet potato peeled and cubed (600 g)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp crunchy peanut butter (natural, unsweetened)
- Juice 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp soy sauce (or tamari)
- 100 g baby spinach
- roasted unsalted peanuts
- fresh coriander
- In a large non-stick skillet (or wok) and heat the oil over medium heat, add the shallots and sauté for 8-10 minutes until soft and starting to brown.
- Add in the garlic, cumin, turmeric and cayenne. Stir for a 30 seconds or so.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, increase heat to medium-high and cook for 5 minutes, then add the coconut milk, water and sweet potatoes; bring to a light boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the peanut butter, lime juice, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Then add the spinach and simmer for a couple more minutes, until spinach is wilted.
- Serve into bowls and top with some peanuts and fresh coriander. Enjoy!
Easily adaptable, try this recipe with a mix of sweet potatoes and chickpeas, sweet potatoes and cauliflower, or a mix of sweet potatoes, regular potatoes and spinach.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Sweet Potato Peanut Stew with Coconut & Spinach recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.