These easy, quick, Mexican tacos are something you can now make right at home! They are a family and crowd pleaser. You only need a handful of simple ingredients, as well as your favorite taco toppings. An it’s also really to use the same filling for enchiladas, burritos, or as a topping for nachos. SO GOOD!
Mexican tacos are just the beginning
Tacos were a bit of a revelation when I first introduced them to my favourite Schwabe’s teenage boys. And they immediately fell in love with them. Then came nachos. Another wow moment. So over the last years tacos, nachos and quesadillas have made a regular appearance in our home. From basic meat and cheese hard shell versions, to healthy with vegetable toppings, to diverse and imaginative self creations with soft corn tortillas. And that is what I truly love about tacos.
There are countless way to prepare tacos! This is one dish where you can let your creativity flow. Sometimes I go the simple route of just beef, taco spice, lime and cilantro, other times I make a saucy version with a tomato sauce base. This version is something in between. The main difference is that, in this version I am using my very taco spice blend. An all-in-one blend from Elle Herbs. A blend that gives dishes that Mexico feeling and flavor, but decent enough to be enjoyed by the whole family. The habanero chili isn’t hot enough to burn down houses.
- There are a few topping that are simply a must: shredded cheese, tomatoes (whether diced or as a fresh salsa like pico de gallo), and avocado (whether sliced or as guacamole).
- Other favourites – chopped red onions, shredded red cabbage (cabbage and mango slaw is perfect here), a white sauce whether it be sour cream, salsa blanca, or a yoghurt based sauce.
- And don’t forget the fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice! And if you like it hot — hot sauce!
Quick & Easy Mexican Tacos
For the tacos:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 400 g ground beef (sustainably sourced)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco spice (Elle Herbs)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water or beef broth (125 ml)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 8-10 soft shell tacos
- lime wedges
For the jalapeño-yoghurt sauce:
- 1 x 170g container Greek yogurt
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeños, chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- sea salt, to taste
For the toppings:
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Avocado slices
- Red onion slices
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Shredded red cabbage
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and ground beef. Cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks, until browned, about 5-7 minutes. Add the spices and tomato paste and cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes. Add the water and reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 7-10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Line the taco shells up on a sheet pan or in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Transfer to the oven and bake 5 minutes. Evenly divide the meat among each taco shell and top with cheese. Bake 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
Meanwhile, make the jalapeño-yoghurt sauce. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir until creamy and well-combined.
Serve warm over warmed tortillas topped with jalapeño-yoghurt sauce, grated cheese, avocado, shredded cabbage, red onion, and any other desired toppings. Enjoy!
- Adding a squeeze of lime juice to the taco or taco meat really rounds out the flavors!
For a relaxing atmosphere in the kitchen I recommend my personal Elle Republic: Chilled Out Kitchen Tunes Playlist on Spotify.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Quick & Easy Mexican Tacos recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.