Simple and tasty. That’s what this sweet potato red curry is. You know, I’ve always had a love affair with curry, which is why I love coming up with new ways to enjoy one. This vegan red curry is unlike all my other curry recipes. Although, it has red curry paste and coconut milk, its flavor is distinctly different from a Thai curry. This curry is made with a base of turmeric, shallots, garlic, and ginger, which is sort of a Burmese curry influence. And the latter three are added at the end, along with freshly squeezed lime juice which give it a distinctive aroma.
This also makes this curry a bit spicy, while at the same time allowing the lime to waken some of the flavors. And to keep the curry vegan, I’ve used soy sauce to add umami (instead of using fish sauce). Did I mention it’s dead easy to prepare?
What makes this sweet potato red curry recipe so good
- Well, first all it is super simple to prepare, making it an easy weeknight dinner.
- The combination of Thai red curry with fresh lime juice, anti-inflammatory turmeric powder, ginger and rich coconut milk makes a flavorful sauce.
- It’s completely plant-based which will keep your vegetarian and vegan friends happy. And you can easily make it gluten-free by replacing the soy sauce with tamari (or Thai fish sauce for flexitarians).
Benefits of including turmeric in recipes
Turmeric contains curcumin, which is a very effective anti-inflammatory and powerful antioxidant. It also protects the liver from toxins, stimulates digestion, improves intestinal flora (otherwise known as the human microbiome), supports the immune response, supports the respiratory system… the list goes on! Which is why it can be considered a superfood, one that is worth including in our diet.
And, of course, it’s delicious and relatively easy to incorporate into everyday recipes, like this sweet potato red curry recipe or my turmeric ginger lentil soup. Alternatively, simply try adding it to a smoothie. Looking for more info on the benefits of including turmeric in recipes? Check this article out.
Sweet Potato Red Curry with Turmeric & Lime
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed (ca. 750 g)
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce (or Thai fish sauce)
- 400 ml organic coconut milk
- 1/3 cup water (80 ml)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- juice from 1 lime
- whole grain rice I used basmati
Heat the coconut oil in a large deep skillet, over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potato and the curry paste, sauté, stirring often for 10 minutes.
Add the turmeric, soya sauce, coconut milk and water to the sweet potato. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until sweet potato tender and the sauce reduces.
Add the ginger, shallots, garlic and lime juice. Simmer for 5 minutes to infuse the flavors. Check the seasoning, adding more lime juice, and a pinch salt, if necessary.
Serve with warm rice and enjoy!
- I like to serve this recipe with whole grain basmati rice. It’s simple to prepare — and perfect every time! All you need to do is put the rice in a pot of water (it’s cooked in lots of water just like potatoes), stir, then cover and turn the heat to low and simmer it for 25 minutes, then drain in a colander and allow it to stand for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- Feel free to add some greens to this sweet potato red curry. I'll bet spinach or kale would be a great addition. Or a plant-based protein, like chickpeas.
- I use Alnatura Bio Rote Thai-Curry-Paste for this recipe. If using Thai fish sauce, I recommend Squid brand.
Did you try this recipe?
Then tag @ellerepublic on Instagram and hashtag it #ellerepublic
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Sweet Potato Red Curry with Turmeric & Lime
recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.