Baked vegetable frittata is the easiest way to make a frittata. The cooking starts on the stovetop and finishes in the oven. This vegetarian frittata is filled with roasted sweet potato and potato, plus sautéed leeks and Swiss chard.
Made with Gouda cheese, it tastes like a crustless quiche and tastes even better at room temperature or chilled in the fridge.The bonus is that it is incredibly easy to make and versatile. You can fill it with almost anything,
What is a frittata?
A frittata is simalar to quiche, with the main difference being that it doesn‘t have a crust. It is an egg-based that can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Or even cut into squares and served as an appetizer. Since eggs are the base, you can put virtually anything in them. From cheese, to chorizo to any vegetables you may have on hand.
What to serve with frittata
I like to serve this vegetable frittata with a simple green salad, However, you could also serve it with a cucumber salad, simple kale salad, coleslaw or even topped with pico de gallo. Or simply enjoy it own its own!
If you like this recipe, then you may also like:
- Tortilla Española (Spanish Potato Frittata) with Sweet Red Pepper
- Spinach, Goat Cheese and Potato Quiche
- Classic Onion Tart (Zwiebelkuchen)
- Crustless Quiche with Spinach, Prosciutto and Mushroom
Baked Vegetable Fritatta
For the roasted potatoes:
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled, cut into 2,5 cm dice (ca. 400 g)
- 350 g potatoes, peeled, cut into 2,5 cm dice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
For the frittata filling:
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup cream (180 ml)
- 200 g gouda cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups hearty greens such as chard or kale, stemmed (leaves from 2 small bunches chard, or 200 g greens)
- 1 small leek, trimmed, rinsed well, and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
Mushroom topping (optional):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 200 g chanterelles wiped free of dirt (or other mushrooms of choice)
Preheat the oven to 450°F/ 230°C and line a baking sheet with patchment paper.
Place the sweet potato and potato on the baking sheet, drizzle with 1,5 tablespoon oil and toss until coated. Spread out in an even layer, careful not to overcrowd and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
Remove the roasted potatoes from the over and reduce the heat 350°F / 175°C.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, then add the cream, gouda cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg and red chili flakes.
In a large, oven-proof skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the onion and leeks, season with a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Then add the greens snd cook until soft, stirring often, about 3-4 minutes.
Finally add roasted potatoes and the egg mixture, stir to combine, spread in an even layer and cook on the stovetop for one minute.
Transfer the pan to the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the egg is fully set.
Serve the frittata at room temperature (or cold) cut into wedges.
Optional mushroom topping:
In a second skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high to high heat. Add the chanterelles. And cook, stirring often, for about 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper. Top the frittata with the chanterelles, when serving.
- If in doubt, you can also test the doneness of the frittata by inserting a sharp knife in the center of it to check if it is fully set. The knife should come out clean.
- You can eat the frittata straight out of the oven, however, I find this dish tastes better served cold or at room temperature, which is part of the appeal since it can be made ahead of time.
For a relaxing atmosphere in the kitchen I recommend my personal Elle Republic: Chilled Out Kitchen Tunes Playlist on Spotify.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this oven-baked vegetable fritatta recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.