Blueberry hand pies are made with buttery puff pastry that bakes to golden brown perfection. The filling is bursting with fresh blueberries that have a hint of lemon. These little hand pies are a delicious summer treat!
Whether savoury or lightly sweet, I love hand pies. And making them with puff pastry rather than a homemade pastry is what makes them super easy and quick to prepare. This recipe really is ultra simple as it’s made with basically just a handful of ingredients (puff pastry, blueberries, lemon, sugar and an egg wash — yes, SIMPLE!). And in this case, simple also translates to pure deliciousness.
Summer abundant berries
In summer when berries are abundant is exactly when you want to take advantage of all they have to offer, whether adding them to salads, enjoying them on their own (or with some mascarpone cream – yum!), or adding them to pies, cakes and muffins. And you aren’t just limited to blueberries. You could also use strawberries, raspberries, or other favourite seasonal fruit.
Puff pastry versus homemade pastry
Of course, if you have the time and desire, you could go ahead and prepare a homemade pie dough for this recipe. I recommend using my strawberry and rhubarb all-butter pie crust recipe. It’s made with spelt flour: 2 1/2 cups spelt flour Type 630 (325 g), 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 1 tablespoon organic beet sugar, 250 g frozen unsalted butter. Check out the recipe for tips on how to make the perfect pie crust. If you do decide on making your own, you’ll likely need to increase the amount of blueberries (50-100 g more), since it yields more than store-bought fresh puff pastry.
Homemade pie dough can be made up to 2 days in advance and keep tightly covered in the refrigerator. Or free free to freeze it for up to 3 months.
Love berries? Try these other recipes made with summer berries:
- Strawberry Tart with Mascarpone Cream (gluten-free)
- Blueberry Scones
- Mixed Berry Crumble Cake
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with Lemon Dressing
- Glass Noodle Salad with Strawberries & Cucumber
Blueberry Hand Pies (Quick & Easy)
- 1 roll puff-pastry (270 g, ca. 25 x 38 cm)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (200 g)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar (Mascabado)
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon raw cane sugar
Preheat oven to 400°F / 200°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, toss together the blueberries, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, and salt (see notes below).
Roll out the puff pastry onto the prepared baking sheet and cut it into 4 long rectangles (see pictures above).
Mound some blueberries in centre of one half of each rectangle. Fold the puff pastry over, and press the edges to seal. Brush with the egg wash, and sprinkle with raw cane sugar. Cut small slits in the tops.
Transfer the pies to the preheated oven, and bake rotating the sheet halfway through, until juices are bubbling and pastry is golden brown, 20-25 minutes (some of the juices will run onto parchment paper).
Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Depending on preference, you can also toss 1 1/2 teaspoons arrowroot powder or other starch with the blueberries, this will thicken up any of the juices that the blueberries release.
- If you do not have any fresh berries on hand, you can substitute with frozen blueberries straight from the freezer. Frozen berries have a higher moisture content should definitely be tossed with arrowroot powder or other starch (I recommend 1 1/2 tablespoons) since they will release a lot of their juices.
- For reheating the hand pies, warm them up in the oven at 325°F/165°C for about 4-5 minutes just before serving.
For a relaxing atmosphere in the kitchen I recommend my personal Elle Republic: Chilled Out Kitchen Tunes or Lounge Kitchen Tunes Playlist on Spotify.
Did you try this recipe?
Then tag @ellerepublic on Instagram and hashtag it #ellerepublic
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Blueberry Hand Pies recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.