A simple jumbo white bean salad loaded with bright flavors reminiscent of the Mediterranean coast with sun-dried tomatoes, feta, olives and fresh herbs. Light, fresh and satisfying this white bean salad recipe can easily be prepared ahead and makes a great lunch or side dish. This dish is quick and easy to make and tastes great eaten immediately, but gets even better with a little extra time.
What kind of beans to use in this salad?
Jumbo white beans (butter beans or fava beans) are my absolute favorite for this salad. And since beans are the focus of this salad, I like to use dried ones, as I find the flavor and texture superior. However, canned beans are also a good choice if you are looking for a quick alternative. Other great choices are cannellini beans, or you could even opt for chickpeas.
Go ahead, make a batch of beans
Speaking of dried beans, I am a fan of making a big batch and then storing extras in the fridge so that they can be added to other dishes I am preparing that week, whether it be soups, salads or even pasta. Or try freezing them, it is a great way to preserve cooked beans!
What I love about this Greek style white bean salad
- It uses simple ingredients and all you need is a little extra-virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar for the dressing.
- You can use dried beans or canned beans, meaning you can plan ahead or make it spontaneously.
- It’s a one bowl meal which is dead easy to make. Throw everything together and toss.
Light but satisfying. The star ingredient is a great source of plant-based protein which will leaves you feeling satisfied.
- Packed with flavor! This Greek-style bean salad is full of Mediterranean flavors, thanks to fresh herbs, sun-dried tomatoes, olives and feta.
- Can be made ahead. Which makes it great for meal planning, take-to-work lunches, picnics, and for enjoying leftovers. It’s even better tasting when the flavors have had time to meld and intensify.
What to serve with this jumbo white bean salad
This Greek style jumbo white bean salad is wonderful served on its own, or you could add it to a green salad. You could also serve it alongside cooked grains with steamed or roasted vegetables, or even as a side with grilled fish. Or try spooning it over toast for brunch.
Looking for other ideas with jumbo white beans?
Try one of these recipes.
- Pasta with White Beans, Arugula and Lemon
- Minestrone Soup with Rice and White Beans
- Giant White Beans and Fresh Tomato Sauce/li>
Greek Style Jumbo White Bean Salad
- 225 g dried jumbo white beans, soaked overnight (500 g cooked) or 2 x 400 g cans beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic, minced
- 30 g kalamata olives, pitted and chopped (about 10 olives)
- 30 g oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (about 4 halves)
- 200 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 75 g feta, crumbled (or more, to taste)
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
To prepare dried beans: Drain and rinse the soaked beans. In a large pot, add the beans and cover with 5 cm cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer and cook, partially covered, gently stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, but still hold their shape. This will take 60-90 minutes depending on how long the beans were soaked. Drain any excess water and allow the beans to cool down before using in the salad.
Transfer the beans to a serving bowl, add the olive oil, vinegar, shallot, garlic, olive and sun-dried tomatoes. Toss to combine. Then add the remaining ingredients; cherry tomatoes, fresh herbs and feta. Season with salt and pepper and toss gently to incorporate.
Let stand for 15 minutes to allow the flavours to meld (or longer).
Serve (see tips below) and enjoy!
- This salad can be made with your favourite mix of fresh herbs. Choose a mix of tender herbs such as mint, parsley, cilantro, chives, and/or dill.
- This salad can also be made in advance, as it gives it a chance for the flavours meld. You can make it up to 3 hours in advance, or store it in the fridge in an airtight container overnight.
- I like to serve this salad with greens such as spinach (and sometime throw in some diced avocado), or with ciabatta and some high-quality olive oil and flaky salt for dipping, or served topped over toasted bread.
For a relaxing atmosphere in the kitchen I recommend my personal Elle Republic: Chilled Out Kitchen Tunes Playlist on Spotify.
Did you try this recipe?
Then tag @ellerepublic on Instagram and hashtag it #ellerepublic
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Greek Style Jumbo White Bean Salad recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.