A burger with “pulled salmon” is a delicious way to enjoy fish in a different way. Especially when topped with fresh ingredients and a delicious caper-lemon yogurt sauce. If you ever thought you aren’t a fan of burgers, this recipe might just change your mind!
Pulled salmon is a spin off of the long-time trend originating from the “Tennessee BBQ” which pork is slow cooked until super tender and then shredded and served with baked beans, corn bread, on bread or in recent years as a super trendy burger. But what if you feel like eating fish? Well then make a pulled salmon burger!
Salmon is loaded with healthy omega 3 fatty acids which makes it a good alternative to a classic meat burger. And the best thing is it is super easy and fast to prepare. The result tender flakes of salmon, that give you a new way of enjoying a trendy burger in a healthier and quicker to prepare way.
It’s quite easy — all you need to do is cook the salmon until it easily flakes but is still juicy. This done following many different methods, but my favourite and by far the fastest way is— by using my LeMax tabletop grill. The benefit with the LeMax is that I can prepare pulled salmon burgers for 2 or 4 people all at the same time. And…toast the burger buns too! The salmon takes less than 15 minutes, and the burger buns toast within less than a minute. And since grilling the salmon is so quick, it’s best to prepare the burger toppings ahead of time, so you can dive right in to enjoy this absolutely delicious pulled salmon burger!
Once again putting my LeMax to the test proved that grilling fish using a tabletop glass ceramic grill produces great results. It’s large, non-stick surface makes grilling fish super easy, whether you are doing so indoors or outdoors. And depending on where you are grilling the fish, the LeMax also offers a splash guard which prevents any fat from splattering to surrounding surfaces as you cook. So less clean up!
Pulled Salmon Burgers
For the fennel slaw:
- 1 large fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 a small red onion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the lemon-caper spread:
- 170 g Greek yogurt
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons capers, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
For the grill:
- 4 salmon filets, skin on (125-150 g per filet depending on size of burger)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- Handful mesclun or young mixed salad greens
- In a medium bowl, add the fennel, onion, cilantro and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the yoghurt, lemon juice, cilantro, capers and Dijon. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
Preheat the tabletop grill (or skillet) over medium-high heat (level 8-9 for the LeMax for 5 minutes). Lightly grease the surface with a heat resistant oil, and place the fish skin-side down on the grill. Grill for 1 1/2 minutes, and then turn the salmon over and grill for 2 minutes on the other side. Finally turn the fish over once again and grill with the skin side down for another 6-8 minutes (depending on thickness) until medium rare or to desired doneness.
(Alternatively, you can generously coat the flesh side of the salmon fillets with oil before seasoning, rather than greasing the surface).
- Once the salmon is done, toast the hamburger buns. This can be done directly on the LeMax and takes 30-45 seconds.
- Remove the salmon from the grill and transfer to a bowl. Use a fork to flake the salmon off the skin into small pieces (discarding the skin).
- To assemble the burgers, divide the flaked salmon among the bottom of the burger buns, and top each with the lemon-caper spread, then a spoonful of fennel slaw and a small handful of salad leaves.
- Any leftover fennel slaw can be served as a side along with the burgers.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Pulled Salmon Burger with Caper-Lemon-Yoghurt Sauce recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.
Many thanks to ELAG Products GmbH for sponsoring this Pulled Salmon Burger recipe.