Baked sweet potato fries. Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, perfectly spiced, they are an easy to make snack or side dish that the whole family can enjoy. Serve them alongside, sandwiches, burgers (like my pulled salmon burger) or grilled meats.
There are of course a few tricks that help guarantee great results when preparing baked sweet potato fries. That is if you want crispy on the outside sort of fries!
How to Make the Best Sweet Potato Fries
1. Slice your fries in similar size, thin fries.
You want your fries to be about 1/2 cm wide as these crisp up best. The best way to do this is to cut a 1/2 cm off one side, then place the flat side down and continue slicing the sweet potato into thin slices, which can then be sliced into thin fry-like pieces. And if you are wondering whether you need to peel them, that’s up to you. There are lots of great nutrients and fibre in the skin. Just be sure to buy organic.
2. Give them a cold water bath.
Once your fries are chopped, place them into a large bowl and cover them with cold water. Let them soak for at least 30 minutes. This helps remove some of the excess starch. Once the potatoes have soaked, rinse and drain them. Then use a clean kitchen towel to pat them down until they are dry.
3. Toss your sliced fries in cornstarch (plus spices) before the oil.
Cornstarch is the best choice as it is high in amylose which is exactly what helps them get a crispy exterior. You can also use chickpea flour or arrowroot starch but the results aren’t quite as crispy. But still delicious!
4. be careful not to overcrowd.
If you are making a big batch, divide your fries between two baking sheets and arrange them in even layers without over crowding. Overcrowded fries steam and never get crispy!
4. Bake at 425°F / 220°C and halfway through the cooking time, flip the sweet potato fries (and if working with two trays, switch positions and rotate back to front. This helps ensure that they bake evenly. I also like to use parchment paper as it helps keep the fries from sticking to the baking pan and makes for easy clean up.
4. Salt your fries when they are hot out of the oven, to taste.
Oven-baked Sweet Potato Fries
Crispy, baked sweet potato fries are a simple to make and a healthy alternative to traditional deep-fried Pommes Frites.
- 400-450 g sweet potato, sliced into 1/2 cm thin strips
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- Add the fries to a large bowl of cold water and soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F / 220°C and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Drain and rinse the fries. With a clean kitchen towel pat the fries until dry. Transfer the fries to a clean, dry bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne and black pepper until combined. Sprinkle the mixture over the fries, then toss to combine. Drizzle over the olive oil. And toss well until evenly coated.
- Spread out the fries in an even layer among both the prepared baking sheets, without over crowding.
Place the baking sheets in the top third and bottom third of the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Then remove the pans from oven, and flip over the fries with a spatula. Rearrange so that the fries are evenly spaced. Then bake for 10-15 more minutes, switching tray poistions and rotating back to front, until the fries are crispy and have begun to brown a bit on the tips. Watch them carefully as the cooking time can depend on the thickness and ovens can vary slightly.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with your desired amount of salt, then let the fries rest for a few minutes (they will crisp up some more). Serve warm.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.