This recipe for roasted asparagus soup is one of my favorite spring soups! Roasted white asparagus, a little dill and a hint of lemon are a sensational combination. And the best part is that this soup tastes creamy, but in fact it is 100% dairy-free. Whether served as a delicious starter or light main course, asparagus soup always tastes good!
One thing I love about spring is the arrival of asparagus! And it seems to be everywhere right now! White, green and purple, I love them all. They are irresistible, so we’ve been enjoying lots of asparagus lately. Roasted, blanched, with romesco sauce or tahini sauce (both to die for!), in pasta salads, you name it… we’ve enjoyed it! And now it is high time that I share a asparagus soup recipe with you. It’s healthy, super simple and easy to make since it’s made with just 7 ingredients, not counting olive oil, salt and pepper!
Creamy asparagus soup without cream
In this recipe, soaked raw cashews replace the heavy cream used in traditional creamy soups. If nuts are an issue for you, then use a non-dairy vegan replacement for cream (soy cream, etc) instead, or try cooking 3 tablespoons arborio risotto rice in the broth before adding it to the soup. Risotto rice is a great thickener for soups. But first, if you don’t already own one, get yourself an immersion blender. This is one of my all time favorite and best-used kitchen gadget. It’s so much easier than blending multiple batches of hot soup in a blender!
Roasted Asparagus Soup (Vegan)
This dairy-free cream of asparagus soup is pure comfort in a bowl and so simple to make. Plan ahead as soaked cashews replace cream in this recipe. This recipe needs to be planned ahead. Soaking time: min 2 hrs (up to 24hrs).
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours, drained and rinsed (65 g)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, separated
- 1 kg white asparagus, peeled and woody ends trimmed (750 g net)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped dill
- 2 cups vegetable broth (500 ml)
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- freshly squeezed juice from 1/2 lemon, or to taste
- tahini sauce
- roasted asparagus tips
- chopped herbs (e.g. dill, chives)
Preheat oven to 400˚ F / 200°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place the asparagus pieces on the prepared sheet tray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with a little salt. Toss until asparagus is well coasted. Place in the preheated oven and roast until asparagus is tender, about 25-30 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic, stir and cook for another minute, until fragrant.
Add the roasted asparagus, dill leaves, and broth. Bring everything to a simmer and stir in the soaked cashews.
Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth.
Alternatively: use a regular blender to puree the soup (either cool your soup before blending or blend in small batches, leaving the tube hole open so that the hot air can escape as you're blending the soup). Please use caution when blending hot liquids!
Serve the soup warm and garnish with desired toppings. Enjoy!
- At the farmers market or asparagus stands it is possible to buy bags of already peeled asparagus stalks that are broken. These are perfect for making soups. In my neighborhood, these are sold in 750 g bags. This is what I use for soups. Depending on how much of the woody ends need to be removed, 1kg asparagus should be enough for this recipe.
- I personally love fresh dill with this recipe. For non dill lovers try replacing with tarragon leaves. They pair perfectly with asparagus too!
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this vegan Roasted Asparagus Soup recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.