This Thai Peanut Coconut Noodles recipe is made with a delicious coconut milk and Thai red curry peanut sauce, Asian-style noodles and lots of vegetables. It makes for a quick and easy weeknight noodle recipe that’s packed with flavor.
This recipe is a riff on one of my oldie but goodie peanut coconut noodle recipes, the main difference here is that there’s a little more red curry paste, a little less peanut butter, and a lot more veggies. And you could say that it is a little lightened up on calories, but just as filling nonetheless.
Thai Peanut Coconut Noodles ingredients
Here are a few quick notes and tips about some of the ingredients you will need to make this Thai-inspired peanut noodles recipe:
I prefer to use rice noodles for this recipe (whether thin like spaghetti or wide like fettuccine). My favorites are wholegrain rice noodles, either plain or made with pumpkin and ginger (which are also gluten-free). Look for them at your local organic food store. Alternatively, use instant noodles, which can also be found made from spelt or whole wheat.
Since this is a vegan recipe, I like to up the protein from the peanut butter further by adding mushrooms. They add about 3 g per 100 g serving. And if you want to up it anymore, just add spinach! I choose Chinese cabbage which is also packed with nutrition, plus red pepper and carrots. Feel free to trade these out for your favourites.
I always buy organic coconut milk, as I find it to be the creamiest. You’ll notice when you open the can that there will be solidified cream at the top. Thats what makes the sauce so creamy and flavourful.
100% peanuts, all natural, no sugar added is the way to go here. Creamy if you want a silky sauce, or chunky peanut butter if you like a bit of crunch in every bite.
Thai red curry paste
choose your favourite trusted brand. I personally love the red Thai curry paste from Alnatura (house brand — unpaid mention)
Possible recipe variations
Looking to change things up a bit? Here’s a few ideas on how to make adapt this recipe:
- Add some additional protein sources: keep it vegan by adding some stir-fried tofu, seitan, or tempeh. Or try chicken, beef or any other protein you love.
- Choose your favorite veggies: Try stir-frying diced sweet potatoes and adding it to the mix. Or how about broccoli forets, diced zucchini or sugar snap peas?
- Make it spicy: Feel free to add a little more red curry paste, or try a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne powder to kick up the heat. Or serve it with a little Sriracha drizzled on top.
- Make it more peanut-y: My original recipe calls for 6 tablespoons of peanut butter. If you are a huge fan of satay sauces and love peanut butter, then feel free to add 1-2 extra tablespoons!
- Toppings: I love to top my curry coconut noodles with lots of chopped fresh cilantro. Other great choices are Thai basil, a sprinkle of roasted (unsalted) peanuts for extra crunch, or some extra lime wedges so you can spruce up the citrus with en extra squeeze.
Looking for other easy curry recipes with a peanut sauce?
Try one one of these favorites:
- Vegan Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew with Tofu
- Zucchini Noodle Stir-Fry (Zoodles Recipe)
- Sweet Potato Peanut Stew with Coconut & Spinach
Thai Peanut Coconut Noodles with Vegetables
A simple recipe for Thai Peanut Coconut Noodles loaded with vegetables. Vegan dish made with Thai red curry paste and natural peanut butter.
- 1 1/2 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 200 g cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 200 g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly peeled and grated ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh red chili, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 x 400 ml can organic coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons natural peanut butter (unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable (or chicken) broth, plus more to thin if desired (125 ml)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced with a mandoline or shredded
- 1 sweet pointed red pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1-2 handfuls Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 500 g Asian-style noodles (I like gluten-free brown rice, pumpkin & ginger noodles)
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- fresh chopped cilantro
In a wok or large, deep skillet heat the coconut oil over a medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until lightly golden and softened, about 5-7 minutes. Reduce heat slightly, add in the garlic, ginger and fresh chili and sauté for 1-2 more minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the curry paste and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
Add the coconut milk, peanut butter, soy sauce and broth. Use a whisk to dissolve the peanut butter. Simmer over medium heat for 5-6 minutes to allow the flavors to develop. Add the vegetables to the wok and cook until crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes (or until desired doneness).
In the meantime, cook the noodles until al dente (according to package instructions). Drain and set aside.
Stir in the lime juice and add the noodles. Cook for 1-2 minutes until warmed through.
Transfer to serving bowls. Garnish with cilantro leaves. Enjoy while warm!
- I like to use Asian-style brown rice noodles for this peanut noodle recipe. They can be found as wide or thin noodles. Check your local organic food store for whole grain varieties.
- Check out the blog post above for more ingredient tips and ideas for how to adapt this recipe.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Thai Peanut Coconut Noodles with Vegetables recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.