Apple sauce and yogurt, instead of fat, provide the moisture in this delicious banana bread recipe. Banana bread is easy to make, fast and solves the problem of what to do with bananas when they turn brown and mushy – and sweeter!
There are many variations to this classic American sweet bread. If you are craving something a little more sumptuous, just add your favorite dark chocolate; coarsely chop it up and simply add it to the mixture.
This recipe is courtesy of my very dearest best friend Leah. It’s not too sweet, but enticing enough for kids to love. I make this sometimes with a little crumbled dark chocolate (75%) chunks mixed in. The other thing I sometimes do is sprinkle sesame seeds along the sides and the bottom of the prepared loaf pan so that the banana bread bakes with a coating of them. Love it and make it time and time again!
Best-Loved Banana Bread
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, alternatively, a mix of spelt and whole wheat (300 g)
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar (I recommend GEPA organic raw cane sugar Mascobado)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup oats (100 g)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (full-fat) (100 g)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup homemade apple sauce (100 g) (peel, core, slice and cook your favorite apples in an adequate amount of water. As they begin to soften, throw in a dash of cinnamon and mash)
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans (100 g) (alternatively add pine nuts)
Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C
Lightly grease an 20 x 10 cm loaf pan. In a large bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and oats. Add egg, yogurt, honey, bananas and applesauce; stir until just combined.
Lightly stir in nuts of your choice and pour batter into prepared pan. (Optional: sprinkle prepared pan with sesame seeds before adding batter.)
Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean. Turn out onto wire rack and allow to cool before slicing.
Did you try this recipe?
Then tag @ellerepublic on Instagram and hashtag it #ellerepublic
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Best-Loved Banana Bread recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).