Avocado and Prawn Salad — a fantastic summer salad
This south-of-the-border inspired salad is absolutely terrific. It really brings me back to holidays spent in Mexico soaking up the sun and enjoying fresh ceviche served in beach cafes. With the combination of prawns, lime and cilantro this salad is fresh, vibrant and reminiscent of a fresh sea breeze. The addition of avocado adds an even sunnier flavor.
This recipe is for two, however it could easily be doubled, and probably should, as it really leaves you craving for more. So go ahead, make a lot of it and pile it into big pasta bowls for a light main-meal salad. Serve with a glass of chilled rosé and enjoy!
PS) Depending on how and where prawns are caught, they range from sustainable to unsustainable. If they are farmed, buy them organic, from farms that comply with environmental standards and ensure many such standards are met. Wild prawns can be very expensive and it’s equally important that they are also sustainably sourced.
Avocado and Prawn Salad with Coriander, Chili and Lime
- 1 1/2 cups or more jumbo pre-cooked prawns, shelled and deveined, chopped (220 g)
- 2-3 handfuls of mesclun baby salad greens, or other mild leaves, such as butter lettuce (50 g)
- 1-2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes, halved (100 grams)
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, seeds removed, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 ripe mango, chopped (optional – in the early or late season, mango is best served as a side; in the summer when it’s at its sweetest, it’s great mixed in with the salad)
In a small bowl, combine the red onion, lime juice, olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside to allow the flavors to meld a little while preparing the rest of the salad.
In a serving bowl, combine the prawns, salad greens, tomatoes and chili (and mango, if using). Pour over dressing mixture and toss gently to combine. Add the avocado and cilantro and give one last gentle toss. Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Avocado and Prawn Salad with Cilantro, Chili and Lime recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).