This Chocolate Almond Cake has quickly become my go-to cake for all occasions. It’s super simple and quick to prepare, it has a moist chocolatey flavour with a hint of coconut, a natural almond sweetness and caramel-like undertones from unrefined muscovado sugar. Both which give it a natural tasting sweetness without being too sweet. And because this chocolate cake is also gluten-free so you can also share it with anyone who has a gluten intolerance — or anyone who suffers from celiac disease.
Gluten-free chocolate almond cake — an every occasion cake
I have tested this cake so many times now, tweaking this and that, and this is the end result — what I would call a perfect gluten-free chocolate cake baked with almonds. This past week I have made it for a birthday party, work colleagues and of course my favourite Schwabe – who has eaten way too much cake since I starting developing this recipe and my flourless almond cake with lemon, which I also recently shared with my German readers.
This chocolate almond cake reminds me a little bit of my brownies, as it has a luscious, soft, moist texture, but it’s not quite as rich or as sweet.
Chocolate Almond Cake (Gluten-Free)
- 200 g butter melted and slightly cooled
- 180 g almond meal blanched
- 40 g coconut flour
- pinch of sea salt
- 130 g soft brown sugar I recommend mascobado from GEPA
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla powder
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder fat-reduced/starkentölt
- 4 large eggs lightly beaten
- handful of almond flakes
- icing sugar to decorate (optional)
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low-heat and then set aside to cool down.
Pre-heat oven to 355°F / 180°C. Grease and line the bottom of a springform cake tin (Ø 24cm) with baking paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the almond meal, coconut flour, salt, sugar, vanilla and cacao. Whisk to combine.
- Add cooled butter and eggs to the dry mixture. Using a wooden or metal spoon, mix the cake batter until smooth and thoroughly mixed.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake tin. Smooth with a spatula and scatter with almond flakes.
- Bake in on the middle rack of the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, until lightly browned and cooked through the middle (center springs to touch).
- Remove from oven and cool for 15-20 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- The cake will keep in a cool corner of your kitchen for 3-4 days or covered and refrigerated for a week or longer.
- I have made this cake with both natural ground almonds and ground almonds that are blanched. Both work well, however for a finer structure, I recommend using use blanched almond meal. The skins are removed and they are ground finer, plus they also gives the cake a natural, slightly sweeter taste.
- Muscovado sugar is unrefined cane sugar that contains natural molasses. The molasses in the sugar cane give muscovado sugar its rich golden brown color, moist texture and caramel flavour. It can be found in your local organic food store.
- In my oven, this cake always takes exactly 40 minutes. Every oven is slightly different, therefore I recommend a baking time of 40-45 minutes.
- I always use raw cacao that is fat-reduced ("stark entölt") either from GEPA, Govinda or from Naturata. They are available at most local organic food stores.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this gluten-free Chocolate Almond Cake recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.