It’s the perfect side dish; steamed white asparagus spears with lemon butter and a fresh breadcrumbs made from your favourite bread, fresh parsley, a little lemon zest and olive oil. Topped with a grated parmesan and fresh parsley to garnish this is a fantastic way to enjoy spring’s harvest of white gold.
Yes, it’s that time again. White asparagus is in season! I’ve already tried several asparagus recipes but this is one I keep coming back to. It’s filled with Mediterranean flavours — lemon and parsley — and is made with simple pantry ingredients.
We like to enjoy this as a light lunch for two, but it also makes the perfect side dish for four. Serve it with your favourite protein (salmon is a great choice!) or steamed potatoes for an easy and delicious dinner.
Interested in more white asparagus recipes?
Try this popular choice: Roasted White Asparagus with Tahini-Lemon Sauce. It’s a great alternative to classic hollandaise.
Asparagus with Lemon Butter & Parsley Breadcrumbs
- 2 slices of bread, crust removed and coarsely chopped or torn
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 small handful fresh parsley, plus more to garnish
- finely grated zest of 1 small organic lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 700 g white asparagus, peeled and trimmed (more if desired)
- 50 g butter
- juice of 1 small organic lemon
- freshly grated Parmesan, to taste
Preheat oven to 480°F / 250°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Put the bread, garlic, salt, parsley, lemon zest and olive oil in a food processor and process until breadcrumbs form. Scatter the crumbs on the prepared baking tray. Bake in the middle of the oven until golden brown. Watch carefully, this only takes a few minutes!! Remove and set aside.
Blanch or steam the asparagus — according to preferred doneness. I like my asparagus so that it is still firm in the middle, although many like it cooked through. So anywhere from 8-15 minutes depending on preference.
Meanwhile, add the butter and lemon juice to a small pan and whisk over medium heat. Remove from the heat when the butter has melted.
Place the asparagus spears on plates, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and parmesan. Drizzle with the lemon butter, garnish with a little fresh parsley and serve. Enjoy!
- To prepare the asparagus, peel and then apply gentle pressure at the bottom of each spear until it snaps/breaks where it is tender.
- To steam the asparagus you can either use a steamer basket in a large pot, or a special asparagus steamer.
- I use my favourite coarse sea salt (Marisol Flor de Sal) for the breadcrumbs. It can be found online.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Asparagus with Lemon Butter & Parsley Breadcrumbs recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.