Sweet oven roasted beets and carrots served with a tangy herbed yoghurt is a super flavour combination. Topped with roasted hazelnuts and spring green onion this is a fantastic side dish to serve alongside grilled salmon or chicken but could also be transformed into a vegetarian main by serving it over your favourite grain (think quinoa, bulgur, black “forbidden rice” or even wholegrain couscous). No matter what you choice to serve this with, I think you will be surprised how tasty simple roasted root vegetables can be when served this way.
Get inspired to try a new way of serving roasted beets and carrots
I particularly love beets with yoghurt, but with a mix of both beets and carrots you have a combination that not only adds more color, but also pleases carrot lovers. The inspiration for this recipe came from the NYT “What to Cook Right Now” and Ottolenghi’s instagram feed. Naturally, I find Yotam Ottolenghi’s cookbooks inspiring. What a fantastic and refreshing way to serve roasted vegetables. I’m pretty sure this would also work for grilled BBQ veggies. Feel free to use your favourite root vegetables. I’m willing to bet this recipe would also work well with a mix of roasted beets, carrots, sweet potato and parsnips.
Looking for other inspiration?
Try one one these recipes:Roasted Vegetable and Chickpeas with Za’atar, Mint and Feta or Bulgur Salad with Sweet Potato, Chickpeas & Herbs.Or check out my beet recipe or carrot recipe archive for more ideas using these delicious root vegetables.
Roasted Beets and Carrots with Herbed Yogurt and Hazelnuts
For the roasted vegetables:
- 500 g beets, peeled cut into chunks (2 bunches when small beets)
- 200 g carrots, peeled cut into chunks similar size to beets (3-4 medium)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
For the herb yoghurt:
- 250 g full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 small bunch finely chopped cilantro (alternatively a mix of fresh herbs)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch red-pepper flakes, optional
- ¼ cup roughly chopped roasted hazelnuts (25 g)
- 2 green onion, thinly sliced (including green part)
- coarse sea salt
- sumach (optional)
Heat oven to 450°F / 230°C degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss the beets and carrots with the olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper, add the dried coriander, and toss the mixture to evenly coat.
- Spread the vegetables evenly on baking sheet and roast, flipping about halfway through, until golden brown and tender, about 25 to 30 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, make the herbed yogurt. In a medium bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, cilantro, lemon juice and red-pepper flakes (if using). Stir well to combine and salt to taste.
Spread the yogurt mixture on the bottom of a plate or platter and arrange roasted beets and carrots on top. Scatter the hazelnuts and green onion on top, and season with a little coarse or flaky salt and a sprinkle of sumac.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Not a fan of cilantro? Then trying using a mix of herbs for the yoghurt base. Parsley, mint and chives are a great combo. Another favourite combo is dill, chives and mint.
- Za’atar could also be used to spice the carrots and beets.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Roasted Beets and Carrots with Herbed Yogurt and Hazelnuts recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.