A summer grilled halloumi salad with the combination of creamy avocado, sweet nectarine, juicy tomatoes and fresh herbs is super refreshing and so easy to prepare. Serve it with warm pita for a simple weekend lunch.
Grilled halloumi salad
This salad is all about summer grilling. Grilled halloumi is the star here. It’s salty, chewy texture is complimented with sweet summer stone fruit (which by the way can also be grilled) and juicy tomatoes. If you are already familiar with halloumi, you know that it makes a great vegetarian grill option in summer. And the great thing about it is that it goes with just about anything. Think freshly baked ciabatta, summer fruit (especially watermelon), grilled Mediterranean vegetables and fresh flavours from lemon and mint. Even served with a homemade marinara sauce — options are endless. But my favourite is in salads.
Preparing halloumi is easy
To grill this Cypriot-origin cheese all you need is a little olive oil and a stove top grill pan or griddle for your BBQ. As a firm cheese with a high melt point, it’s also sturdy enough withstand being cooked directly over a charcoal or gas BBQ, however it has a tendency to stick, so either thread it onto skewers or making sure the grill grates are well oiled and coat the cheese lightly with oil before grilling. Then grill the cheese for 2-3 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the slices, until it’s golden and a little charred on all sides. Voila!
No grill or grill pan? Just pan sear the cheese in a nonstick skillet. TIP: make sure the rest of your meal is prepared, as halloumi tastes best straight off the grill!
- You could easily substitute nectarines or for peaches.
- If you can’t find halloumi, you could use fresh mozzarella instead. Slice or tear it and add to the salad with a little sprinkle of salt. And serve it with grilled peach instead.
- Add fresh croutons.
- Add a handover of arugula leaves.
- Dress it in a honey-balsamic dressing.
Looking for other halloumi recipes?
How about trying one of these delicious salads made with squeaky, salty halloumi:
- Bulgur Salad with Halloumi and Lemon-Caper Dressing
- Grilled Eggplant, Tomato, Halloumi and Bulgur Salad
- Bulgur Chickpea Salad with Grilled Halloumi and Eggplant
- Halloumi and Vegetable Skewers
Grilled Halloumi Salad with Nectarines and Tomatoes
- 1 x 200 g package halloumi cheese, cut into 10 slices
- 250 g cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 nectarines, thinly sliced
- handful basil, thinly sliced
- handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped (ca. 2 tablespoons)
- handful mint leaves, chopped (ca. 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grilling
- 1/2 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, lightly toasted
- Black cumin (nigella) or avocado spice, to garnish
Preheat a greased outdoor grill or stove-top grill pan over medium-high heat.
Drizzle the halloumi with additional oil, and rub in lightly. Grill for 2-3 minutes per side, until grill marks appear and it easily releases from the grill. It will stick if it’s not ready to flip yet, but it’ll become easier once it has a nice enough sear.
Meanwhile, prepare the salad. In a serving bowl, add the tomatoes, nectarines and fresh herbs. Drizzle with the oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and gently toss to combine.
Arrange the avocado and grilled halloumi around the salad. Garnish with pine nuts and a little nigella or avocado spice over the avocado. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Since halloumi is best straight off the grill, have the rest of the salad ingredients prepped before you grill the cheese. It’s much better warm, right off the grill.
For a relaxing atmosphere in the kitchen I recommend my personal Elle Republic: Chilled Out Kitchen Tunes Playlist on Spotify.
Did you try this recipe?
Then tag @ellerepublic on Instagram and hashtag it #ellerepublic
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Grilled Halloumi Salad with Nectarines and Tomatoes recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.