Millet porridge is a delicious alternative to classic oatmeal. In combination with naturally sweet mashed banana and creamy coconut milk (and what I also love — raw cacao!), it makes it hard to believe something so tasty could be considered a healthy breakfast.
Over the years I have often enjoyed flaked millet with mashed banana for breakfast, however I never imagined using it in it’s small-seeded cereal grain form. Which begs me to question why not, since I have often using whole amaranth as a porridge base. And, as for the coconut milk, this inspiration is thanks to a recipe by the Hollyhock centre, back in my home country, which is a renowned retreat on Cortes Island for learning and well being. The idea is brilliant, as it lends a rich creaminess to a simple breakfast dish. Which gives it almost a dessert like quality. Especially if you are adding a little antioxidant rich raw cacao.
Of course cooking millet takes a little longer than regular oats or flaked millet. But it’s just as easy and is easily cooked up for a weekend (or home office) breakfast in less than 30 minutes. As a pseudo grain, it’s naturally gluten-free and is packed with antioxidants, fibre and protein, making a terrific grain to incorporate into a healthy diet.
Millet porridge topping ideas
- I love to my porridge with cacao nibs for an extra bitter chocolate flavour that balances nicely with the sweetness of the banana — plus they are loaded with antioxidant power!
- Toasted coconut flakes or desiccated coconut add a little extra coconut-y flavour
- Hemp seeds or chia seeds
- Sliced banana
- Or maybe even a drizzle of maple syrup
- Millet Porridge with Banana and Coconut Milk
- Creamy millet porridge makes a delicious and healthy breakfast. Made with coconut milk, bananas and cacao. Naturally vegan and gluten-free.
Looking for other breakfast ideas?
Try one of these delicious recipes:
Millet Porridge with Banana and Coconut Milk
- 125 g millet (fine), rinsed and drained
- 250 ml water
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon raw cacao powder (optional)
- 200 ml can organic coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, to serve
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Cacao nibs
- Extra banana slices
- Place millet in a small non-stick saucepan on medium to medium-low heat. Toast lightly until dry, and turns golden brown. 5 minutes. Stir continuously.
- Add salt and water. Increase heat and bring to a light boil, cover and reduce heat. Cook for approximately 15 minutes until the grain has puffed up, and most of water absorbed.
- Add banana, cacao (if using), cinnamon and coconut milk. Cook for another 7-8 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat, pour in a bowl and top with banana slices, cacao nibs, coconut flakes and maple syrup (if desired). Enjoy!
For a relaxing atmosphere in the kitchen I recommend my personal Elle Republic: Chilled Out Kitchen Tunes Playlist auf Spotify.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Millet Porridge with Banana and Coconut Milk recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.