Tomato Nectarine Salad, because juicy nectarines, heirloom tomatoes, chickpeas, red onion, roasted almonds, basil and mint definitely go together, right? Yes! They do. 🙂 Fresh summer ingredients tossed together with a drizzle of your best olive oil and red wine vinegar make an incredibly simple and delicious summer salad. One that can be enjoyed on the hottest of days. Meaning it’s perfect for anyone who does NOT like to turn on the oven right now. And… anyone who loves fresh tasting summer salads.
I’ve made a number of variations of this salad. Sometimes I add a little roasted cumin and coriander seeds just to change things up a little. Or I keep it simple and make a classic Italian heirloom tomato and nectarine salad with basil and burrata mozzarella. Which by the way is super simple to make and makes a great addition to a summer brunch. Give it a sprinkle of olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper and you have one of my favourite summer salads. It also is great with peaches or cantaloupe melon, instead of nectarines.
So there you are; the inspiration for this salad. Be sure to try this or my Tomato-Melon Salad with Crispy Prosciutto & Mint while gorgeous heirloom tomatoes are gracing the farmers markets. Both are lovely on their own with some crusty bread or a baguette…or served as a side along with something hot off the barbecue.
How to adapt this Tomato Nectarine Salad with Chickpeas, Almonds & Herbs
Again, like all salads, this one is flexible! Here are a few ideas to keep you inspired:
- Replace the nectarines with peaches.
- Top it with crumbled feta.
- Stir in some mini fresh mozzarella balls.
- Try pine nuts instead of almonds.
Let me know what variations you try!
Tomato Nectarine Salad with Chickpeas, Almonds & Herbs
- 1 x 400 g can organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes chopped (ca. 600 g)
- 2 nectarines, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Coarse sea salt, to taste
- 35 g raw almonds, roasted and chopped coarsely (see tips)
- 1 generous handful fresh basil torn
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint leaves
Place the chickpeas, tomatoes, nectarines, and red onion in a large bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt to taste and toss gently to combine. Add the almonds, basil and mint leaves and toss again to incorporate.
Serve and enjoy!
- For this salad I used a combination of white-flesh and yellow-flesh nectarines, as well as yellow and red heirloom tomatoes.
- To roast almonds: Preheat the oven to 350°F/175 °C. Spread the almonds in a single layer on an baking sheet. Place the almonds in the oven for 10-12 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes (they should start to smell nutty and turn a shade darker). Remove the nuts from the oven and transfer to a plate or another baking sheet. Let the almonds cool completely. Make ahead: I like to make a batch of toasted almonds and once cooled I store them in an airtight container. This way I always have them on hand for salads, müsli or snacks. Alternatively: toast chopped or slivered almonds in a heavy skillet over medium heat until they turn golden brown and start to smell, approximately three to five minutes.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Tomato Nectarine Salad with Chickpeas, Almonds & Herbs recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.