Love mushrooms? Then you are going to love this simple mushroom stir-fry recipe. A mixture of mushrooms — shiitake, cremini, oyster and king trumpet are stir-fried in a simple asian-style sauce along with green onion and Chinese cabbage. Served with rice this makes a delicious and easy weeknight meal.
Stir-fry is the answer to quick weeknight meals
The fantastic thing about stir fries are that they are quick, easy, and highly adaptable. They are a great way to use up whatever vegetables are in the fridge and you can serve it with steamed rice, noodles or even other grains or pseudo grains, like quinoa.
All you need for a simple stir-fry are a good base with aromatics such as garlic, onion and/or ginger and a store-bought or homemade sauce. A homemade sauce can be easily made with a simple combination of soy sauce and rice wine, rice vinegar or even freshly squeezed orange juice, plus a little peanut oil or sesame oil. Or you can create a simple teriyaki sauce with soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, mirin rice wine, and garlic. Then comes the vegetables, which are stir-fried with a constant stir. And finally as they are served, garnished with seeds or nuts or fresh herbs or chopped green onion for added freshness.
How to adapt this mushroom stir-fry recipe
- Mushrooms are the star of this recipe, but you can use your favourite ones or a combination of them. Shiitake add a delicious umami flavor, which makes them a good choice for adding to the mix.
- I like to add a little smoked bacon to the recipe for the extra depth of flavor. Of course, if you want to make this recipe vegetarian or vegan, if can be left out. Or simply replace it with smoked tofu for extra flavor and plant-based protein.
- And if you want an animal based protein, you could add chicken or turkey breast and simply double the amount of sauce. Or marinate it ahead of time in some of the sauce.
Rather than Chinese cabbage you could use shredded savoy cabbage, bok choy or another choice of greens to the mix.
Looking for other Asian-style recipe inspiration?
If you like this recipe, then you might also like one of these delicious recipes:
- Asian Style Stir-Fried Green Beans
- Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
- Zucchini Noodle Stir-Fry (Zoodles Recipe)
- Smoked Tofu Stir-Fry with Asparagus
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar (Japanese)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- sea salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 30 g smoked bacon diced (optional, see notes)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 300 g mixed mushrooms, sliced (e.g. shiitake, cremini, oyster, king trumpet)
- A generous pinch of red pepper flakes (1/8 teaspoon or more)
- 1 small head Chinese cabbage, shredded (3-4 handfuls)
To serve (optional)
- Steamed rice
- Fresh cilantro
- Sirachi sauce
In a small bowl, combined the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, starch, and salt in a bowl; set sauce aside.
Using a wok, heat the oil over medium heat. Add bacon (if using) and cook until the fat is rendered, 1–2 minutes.
Increase heat slightly. Add the garlic and green onions; cook until softened, about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and red pepper flakes; cook stirring often, until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add cabbage leaves; cook until wilted, 1–2 minutes. Stir in the sauce and cook about 1 minute more.
Serve with steamed rice, garnished with cilantro and sriracha sauce if desired. Enjoy!
- I like to add a little smoked bacon to this recipe for the extra depth of flavor. Of course, it can be omitted for a vegetarian or vegan version. This mushroom stir-fry recipe also tastes delicious without it.
- If you like a hint of sweetness to your stir-fry than add a pinch of cane sugar or muscavado brown sugar. Alternatively, trade out the rice vinegar for Chinese rice wine (Shaoxing Win) which is often used in stir-fries.
- Jasmine rice cooks in just 15 minutes, which makes it a good choice when cooking a quick meal. Otherwise, plan in more time and prepare whole grain rice.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this Asian Mushroom Stir-Fry recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.