This spicy gnocchi skillet with feta and tomatoes is a weeknight hero! If you’re looking for an easy and delicious one-pan meal, here it is! With just a handful of ingredients, it’s fast, comforting and is ready in about 30 minutes.
This easy gnocchi recipe is made with a harissa-spiced tomato sauce, feta, and spinach. You can use a harissa spice mix or harissa paste to create this recipe. Keep in mind, that you might need to adjust that amount of harissa depending on which type you are using and how mild or spicy the brand is.
Spicy gnocchi skillet ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Olive oil — fat equals flavour and helps brown the shallots and garlic.
- Gnocchi — Fresh store-bought gnocchi cooks up very quickly and add bulk to any recipe. It doesn’t require any boiling which makes it really quick and easy carb choice.
- Tomatoes — Canned tomatoes are the way to go in winter months, however they could be substituted with fresh cherry tomatoes. Simply add them to the cooked shallot and sauté another 10 minutes until they break down before continuing with the recipe. If needed a smidgen of tomato paste to richen their flavour. Add the fresh gnocchi and let it cook in the sauce for 5 minutes.
- Shallots & garlic — Add essential flavour, depth and savouriness to this simple tomato sauce. A small yellow onion can be used in place of shallots, if needed.
- Harissa & red pepper flakes — For heat!
- Sea salt – To make all the flavours really pop!
- Feta — Leave it in chunks or crumble it. As it bakes it will become creamy.
- Spinach — leaf spinach or baby spinach can be used. Otherwise, try other types of greens, such as Tuscan kale, beet greens or a handful of savoy cabbage leaves. For tougher leaves sauté them along with the gnocchi for a couple minutes before transferring everything to the oven.
- Fresh parsley – For a fresh finishing touch.
Since gnocchi recipes can be quite filling, I suggest pairing this dish with a green salad.
Looking for other gnocchi recipes?
Try one of these quick and easy gnocchi recipes:
- Creamy Mushroom Gnocchi with Spinach
- Baked Gnocchi with Tomato and Salsiccia
- Oven-Baked Gnocchi with Tomatoes and Feta
Spicy Gnocchi Skillet with Feta and Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 x 400 g package fresh store-bought gnocchi (refrigerated)
- 1 x 400 g can diced tomatoes
- 60 ml water
- 1 tablespoon harissa spice mix (alternatively, use harissa paste)
- 2 handfuls spinach, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 100 g crumbled feta cheese
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 400°F / 200°C (180°C fan-assisted).
In an ovenproof skillet or enamel-plated cast iron casserole (∅ 24-26 cm) heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallot, garlic, chili flakes, salt and cook, stirring often, until softened (5-6 minutes).
Add the gnocchi, increase heat slightly, cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden.
Stir in tomatoes, water (use to rinse the can) and harissa. Turn off heat, add the spinach and stir to incorporate. Sprinkle feta over top.
Transfer to preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes, until sauce bubbling and feta softened.
Serve garnished with fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!
- Important: if you are using cast iron for this gnocchi casserole it is important to only use a enamel plated cast iron as the acidity of the tomatoes will make the dish taste slightly metallic when using a standard cast iron pan.
- Fresh gnocchi is found in the refrigerated section of the supermarket where you will also find fresh pasta.
For a relaxing atmosphere in the kitchen I recommend my personal Elle Republic: Chilled Out Kitchen Tunes Playlist on Spotify.
Did you try this recipe?
How did you like it?
Please let me know how this buckwheat bread recipe turned out for you! I would love to hear how you liked it. Simply rate it with the stars above ⭐ or leave me a comment and rate it below.
Did you make any changes to this recipe?
If you have tips for other readers, let me know! It helps me and other readers so much. Sharing is Caring :-).
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the price remains the same. More about advertisements on Elle Republic.